Vim on Vista: right-click 'Edit with Vim' problem

Simon

Apr 12, 2008, 5:40:13 AM4/12/08
to vim_use
Hi all,

I'm using Gvim on Windows Vista. I originally had Vim installed in 'C:
\Program Files\Vim' but after getting annoyed with Vista not allowing
me to change the _vimrc file without moving it to the 'virtual store',
I decided to uninstall and reinstall in 'C:\Vim'.

But since doing that, when I try to open a file by right-clicking and
selecting 'Edit with Vim', I get:
"gvimext.dll error Error creating process: Check if gvim is in your
path!"

I do have "C:\Vim\vim71\" in my path.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Tony Mechelynck

Apr 12, 2008, 5:50:05 AM4/12/08
to vim...@googlegroups.com

On Vista, logging in to an admin account doesn't automatically give you
admin privileges. You have to get these in addition. Maybe that's why
you couldn't install to Program Files.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
One of my less pleasant chores when I was young was to read the Bible
from one end to the other. Reading the Bible straight through is at

Patrick Texier

Apr 12, 2008, 6:14:21 AM4/12/08
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 11:50:05 +0200, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> > Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> On Vista, logging in to an admin account doesn't automatically give you
> admin privileges. You have to get these in addition. Maybe that's why
> you couldn't install to Program Files.

And patch 282 had some fixes: "Win64: Edit with Vim context menu isn't
installed correctly. Compiler warnings and a few other things.".
--
Patrick Texier

vim:syntax=mail:ai:ts=4:et:tw=72

John Beckett

Apr 12, 2008, 7:26:23 AM4/12/08
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Simon wrote:
> I'm using Gvim on Windows Vista...

> I get: "gvimext.dll error Error creating process:
> Check if gvim is in your path!"

We have two slightly dodgy tips on Vista:
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_On_Vista
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/VirtualStore

Amazingly, someone just edited the first tip in the section "Shell Extension" which
discusses exactly your problem.

We really need some Vista users to clean these tips up because they each recommend
some truly scary things with no specified reasons (however, the particular issue in
this thread looks fine).

John

Simon

Apr 13, 2008, 2:30:25 PM4/13/08
to vim_use
Tony, Patrick, John

Thanks for your replies. I came across the wiki shortly after posting
(seems always the way). My problem was indeed that I had 'Run as
administrator set' for gvim. (It was me that edited the tip in the
wiki, btw, to add a bit more info - no big coincidence after all!)

Thanks for your help, S

John Beckett

Apr 13, 2008, 6:46:20 PM4/13/08
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Simon wrote:
> Thanks for your replies. I came across the wiki shortly
> after posting (seems always the way). My problem was indeed
> that I had 'Run as administrator set' for gvim. (It was me
> that edited the tip in the wiki, btw, to add a bit more info
> - no big coincidence after all!)

Thanks Simon. Please drop by the wiki some more.

John

emallove

Jul 12, 2012, 9:22:57 AM7/12/12
to vim...@googlegroups.com
> ... when I try to open a file by right-clicking and
> selecting 'Edit with Vim', I get:
> "gvimext.dll error Error creating process: Check if gvim is in your
> path!"
>
> I do have "C:\Vim\vim71\" in my path.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?

I ran into the same problem. A workaround is to start a new Vim process and then use "Edit with existing Vim" (see attached).

-Ethan

EditWithExistingVim.png

David Fishburn

Jul 31, 2012, 2:57:06 PM7/31/12
to vim...@googlegroups.com, vim...@googlegroups.com

On Jul 31, 2012, at 6:16 AM, Leszek Świrski <leszek....@gmail.com> wrote:

> In case anyone else has the same problem, I fixed it by fixing my gvim path in
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Vim\Gvim
> (It was set to vim72, I had vim73)

Which installer did you run to install Vim 7.3?

--
David Fishburn

Leszek Świrski

Aug 1, 2012, 6:48:05 AM8/1/12
to vim...@googlegroups.com
> Which installer did you run to install Vim 7.3?

Cream without Vim, although I can't recall if I was upgrading from 7.2 or not.

Steve Hall

Aug 1, 2012, 8:52:04 AM8/1/12
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 6:48 AM, Leszek Swirski <leszek....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Which installer did you run to install Vim 7.3?
>
> Cream without Vim, although I can't recall if I was upgrading from 7.2 or not.

The Cream installer writes the new install path to that registry
location, not sure how the old one could have not been revised unless
the Nullsoft WriteRegStr instruction doesn't do this?

:: Cream for Vim (http://cream.sourceforge.net)

David Fishburn

Aug 1, 2012, 9:15:23 AM8/1/12
to vim...@googlegroups.com, vim...@googlegroups.com
Steve, sorry for not posting this earlier.

When I setup my new Windows 7 64bit I used the Cream installer for basic Vim.

I did a pile of searching trying to determine why since the registry looked correct.

Anyway, as a different test I ran the Vim installer and everything worked correctly. Then I re-ran the Cream installer to get an updated version and everything has worked fine since.

--
David Fishburn

Gary Johnson

Aug 1, 2012, 12:25:51 PM8/1/12
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On 2012-08-01, David Fishburn wrote:

> >> Cream without Vim, although I can't recall if I was upgrading from 7.2 or not.
> >
> > The Cream installer writes the new install path to that registry
> > location, not sure how the old one could have not been revised unless
> > the Nullsoft WriteRegStr instruction doesn't do this?
> >
> > --
> > Steve Hall [ digitect dancingpaper com ]
> > :: Cream for Vim (http://cream.sourceforge.net)
> >

> Steve, sorry for not posting this earlier.
>
> When I setup my new Windows 7 64bit I used the Cream installer for
> basic Vim.
>
> I did a pile of searching trying to determine why since the
> registry looked correct.
>
> Anyway, as a different test I ran the Vim installer and everything
> worked correctly. Then I re-ran the Cream installer to get an
> updated version and everything has worked fine since.

I use the Cream without Cream version of Vim on my Windows XP
machine at work and usually keep it updated to the latest release on
the Cream site. I haven't kept careful track, but it seems that
after every maybe third installation, the Vim commands disappear
from the Windows Explorer context menu. Running the installer again
has always fixed the problem.

Regards,
Gary

emallove

Jun 3, 2013, 10:01:57 AM6/3/13
to vim...@googlegroups.com, presto...@gmail.com

My workaround is to start a gvim.exe process, then use the right click menu option "Edit with existing Vim". This way Windows isn't tasked with finding my gvim.exe executable.

-Ethan