gVim closing randomly.

Paul Isambert

Aug 26, 2015, 3:27:37 AM8/26/15
to vim
Hello there,

Vim (GUI) has behaved strangely for the past few weeks (or perhaps
months): it simply closes abruptly, without reason, a few times per
week. Swap files are deleted, so it seems Vim is closing “normally”.

Has anybody encountered the same problem, and if so, any solution?

(I’m running Arch.)

Best,
Paul

Ben Fritz

Aug 26, 2015, 10:26:17 PM8/26/15
to vim_use
Maybe you're accidentally pressing ZZ or ZQ?

Paul Isambert

Aug 27, 2015, 5:14:20 AM8/27/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
That’s a possibility of course, but I can’t see why I would have made
those accidental key presses in the last weeks only. Also, console Vim
doesn’t close randomly. And finally, I remember (but I’m not 100%
sure) that the closing often occurs when I’m not doing anything.

Thanks anyway,
Paul

John Little

Aug 27, 2015, 7:44:15 AM8/27/15
to vim_use
On Thursday, August 27, 2015 at 9:14:20 PM UTC+12, Paul Isambert wrote:
> Vim (GUI) ... simply closes abruptly...

How are you starting gvim? If you start it in a terminal window, there might be messages from vim saying what's happening. If I start gvim in a terminal, then pkill it, a message appears in the terminal where I started it.

Paul Isambert

Aug 27, 2015, 7:59:52 AM8/27/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
I hadn’t thought of that. I usually don’t start gvim from the
terminal, but I might try that route until it closes and see if
anything is printed.

Best,
Paul