use cases for <EOL>?

Xavier Noria

Aug 17, 2016, 6:53:09 AM8/17/16
to vim_use
I was reading :h key-notation and saw <EOL> which is meant to be a portable newline.

When is <EOL> helpful? Should portable map commands use <EOL> instead of <CR> for example?

Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov

Aug 17, 2016, 8:57:35 AM8/17/16
to vim...@googlegroups.com
> I was reading :h key-notation and saw <EOL> which is meant to be a portable newline.
>
> When is <EOL> helpful? Should portable map commands use <EOL> instead of <CR> for example?

It is for help files only. `<EOL>` in rhs of the mapping does exactly
the same thing `<LT>EOL>`, `echo "\<EOL>"` displays `<EOL>`. The only
place where `<EOL>` is special is help file *text*, check `:helpgrep
\c<EOL>`.

> --
> --
>
> ---

Xavier Noria

Aug 17, 2016, 9:50:22 AM8/17/16
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 2:57 PM, Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov <zyx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was reading :h key-notation and saw <EOL> which is meant to be a portable newline.
>
> When is <EOL> helpful? Should portable map commands use <EOL> instead of <CR> for example?

It is for help files only. `<EOL>` in rhs of the mapping does exactly
the same thing `<LT>EOL>`, `echo "\<EOL>"` displays `<EOL>`. The only
place where `<EOL>` is special is help file *text*, check `:helpgrep
\c<EOL>`.

Awesome, thanks!