Missing symbols file (pdb) for current gvim windows build (gvim74-1024.exe)

Gabriele Fava

May 11, 2016, 7:44:00 AM5/11/16
to v...@vim.org
Hello, I was looking for the symbols file of the latest gvim windows
build published on the ftp site
(ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim74-1024.exe).
It's not in ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc, is it somewhere else?

Thanks

Gabriele

Bram Moolenaar

May 12, 2016, 3:59:07 PM5/12/16
to Gabriele Fava, v...@vim.org

Gabriele Fava wrote;
Sorry, no. Perhaps another Windows build has it?

--
I used to wonder about the meaning of life. But I looked it
up in the dictionary under "L" and there it was - the meaning

Ken Takata

May 13, 2016, 5:28:34 AM5/13/16
to vim_use, gb...@tiscali.it, v...@vim.org
Hi,

2016/5/13 Fri 4:59:07 UTC+9 Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> Gabriele Fava wrote;
>
> > Hello, I was looking for the symbols file of the latest gvim windows
> > build published on the ftp site
> > (ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim74-1024.exe).
> > It's not in ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc, is it somewhere else?
>
> Sorry, no. Perhaps another Windows build has it?

Oh, our vim/vim-win32-installer also don't have pdb files.
https://github.com/vim/vim-win32-installer
I totally forgot about that. Maybe we should add them...

Regards,
Ken Takata

Christian Brabandt

May 13, 2016, 5:43:39 AM5/13/16
to vim_use, v...@vim.org
Hi Ken!
Are those files created automatically when compiling using msvc?
So this is just a matter of adding the created .pdb file to the archive?

If so, could you please create a PR for this? Thanks

Best,
Christian
--
Man soll den Tag nicht vor dem Abendprogramm loben.

Gabriele Fava

May 13, 2016, 1:57:26 PM5/13/16
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On 12/05/2016 21.58, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> Gabriele Fava wrote;
>> It's not inftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc, is it somewhere else?
> Sorry, no. Perhaps another Windows build has it?

Thanks for the reply, hard to believe I'm speaking to Bram Moolenar !!

As to the subject matter:

The pdb file is generated by the compiler along with the executable, and
to debug a crash you need the specific one associated with the
executable that crashed.

If you use a pdb generated for an executable with few differences from
the one which crashed you might be able to get somewhat along, but you
can easily get incorrect debug information and you'll probably have to
change some debugger option to be able to load the pdb.

So it's much better for everyone to ensure that you always generate the
pdbs and always distribute them along with the associated executables
(or make them available at some remote symbol server).

Gabriele

Christian Brabandt

May 13, 2016, 3:10:14 PM5/13/16
to vim_use, v...@vim.org
> On Fr, 13 Mai 2016, Ken Takata wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > 2016/5/13 Fri 4:59:07 UTC+9 Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> > > Gabriele Fava wrote;

> > > Sorry, no. Perhaps another Windows build has it?
> >
> > Oh, our vim/vim-win32-installer also don't have pdb files.
> > https://github.com/vim/vim-win32-installer
> > I totally forgot about that. Maybe we should add them...

I just did it for the zip-archives with commit
https://github.com/vim/vim-win32-installer/commit/60d5f174b8c16e6076c0e0c2a6a3cd85f3a7feaf

That means the next release will include the pdb files at least in the
zip archives. Don't know how to do it for the installer script however.

Best,
Christian

Bram Moolenaar

May 14, 2016, 10:35:02 AM5/14/16
to Christian Brabandt, vim_use, v...@vim.org

Christian Brabandt wrote;
The toplevel Makefile handles them, but with the intention to upload
them to the ftp server. They are not packaged (as it is now).

--
LARGE MAN: Who's that then?
CART DRIVER: (Grudgingly) I dunno, Must be a king.

Christian Brabandt

May 14, 2016, 2:42:58 PM5/14/16
to vim_use, v...@vim.org
Hi Bram!

On Sa, 14 Mai 2016, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Christian Brabandt wrote;
>
> > On Fr, 13 Mai 2016, Ken Takata wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,

> > > Oh, our vim/vim-win32-installer also don't have pdb files.
> > > https://github.com/vim/vim-win32-installer
> > > I totally forgot about that. Maybe we should add them...
> >
> > Are those files created automatically when compiling using msvc?
> > So this is just a matter of adding the created .pdb file to the archive?
> >
> > If so, could you please create a PR for this? Thanks
>
> The toplevel Makefile handles them, but with the intention to upload
> them to the ftp server. They are not packaged (as it is now).

I am sorry, I don't follow. I made a change, that the
vim-win32-installer repository contains the pdb files for the binaries.
That should work, once the next release is build, however I don't know,
how to modify the nsis script to included this file as well.

Are you telling me, those files should not be added to the
vim-win32-installer repository?

Best,
Christian
--
Wie man sein Kind nicht nennen sollte:
Hanno Ferahner

Bram Moolenaar

May 16, 2016, 8:28:49 AM5/16/16
to Christian Brabandt, vim_use, v...@vim.org
99% of users will never use the file, there is not much point in
including it in the installer. It can be made available separately, so
that when someone wants to debug the executable that is possible.

--
ARTHUR: I've said I'm sorry about the old woman, but from the behind you
looked ...

Christian Brabandt

May 16, 2016, 2:51:21 PM5/16/16
to vim_use, v...@vim.org
On Mo, 16 Mai 2016, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> 99% of users will never use the file, there is not much point in
> including it in the installer. It can be made available separately, so
> that when someone wants to debug the executable that is possible.

Well, it is 16.5 MB vs. 13 MB (that is the 64bit version, the 32bit
version hasn't built yet). I think users can handle this additional
amount. (The x86 32bit built will be even larger, since there is a pdb
file for the console and the gui version).

I mean, if you don't want that, I am open for suggestions. Where else
should we put it? It needs to be a place where we can automatically
deploy to. I could probably put it on my server 256bit.org but I doubt
this is a very good suggestion.

Best,
Christian
--
Die Politik "Auge um Auge - Zahn um Zahn" kann letztlich nur zu einer
Gesellschaft von Blinden und Zahnlosen führen.

Bram Moolenaar

May 17, 2016, 12:19:26 PM5/17/16

Christian Brabandt wrote:

> On Mo, 16 Mai 2016, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>
> > 99% of users will never use the file, there is not much point in
> > including it in the installer. It can be made available separately, so
> > that when someone wants to debug the executable that is possible.
>
> Well, it is 16.5 MB vs. 13 MB (that is the 64bit version, the 32bit
> version hasn't built yet). I think users can handle this additional
> amount. (The x86 32bit built will be even larger, since there is a pdb
> file for the console and the gui version).

That's a lot of useless bytes if you have a slow connection.

> I mean, if you don't want that, I am open for suggestions. Where else
> should we put it? It needs to be a place where we can automatically
> deploy to. I could probably put it on my server 256bit.org but I doubt
> this is a very good suggestion.

Can't it be another build artifact?

--
OLD WOMAN: Well, how did you become king, then?
ARTHUR: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite,

Christian Brabandt

May 17, 2016, 4:47:51 PM5/17/16
to vim_use, v...@vim.org
On Di, 17 Mai 2016, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Christian Brabandt wrote:
>
> > On Mo, 16 Mai 2016, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> >
> > > 99% of users will never use the file, there is not much point in
> > > including it in the installer. It can be made available separately, so
> > > that when someone wants to debug the executable that is possible.
> >
> > Well, it is 16.5 MB vs. 13 MB (that is the 64bit version, the 32bit
> > version hasn't built yet). I think users can handle this additional
> > amount. (The x86 32bit built will be even larger, since there is a pdb
> > file for the console and the gui version).
>
> That's a lot of useless bytes if you have a slow connection.
>
> > I mean, if you don't want that, I am open for suggestions. Where else
> > should we put it? It needs to be a place where we can automatically
> > deploy to. I could probably put it on my server 256bit.org but I doubt
> > this is a very good suggestion.
>
> Can't it be another build artifact?

I am trying. Currently there seem to be some appveyor/github issue on
uploading the build artifacts, but I hope this problem will be fixed
soon and then I'll change the appveyor script.

Best,
Christian
--
Wie man sein Kind nicht nennen sollte:
Claire Anlage

Christian Brabandt

May 18, 2016, 2:36:35 AM5/18/16
to vim_use, v...@vim.org
On Di, 17 Mai 2016, Christian Brabandt wrote:

> I am trying. Currently there seem to be some appveyor/github issue on
> uploading the build artifacts, but I hope this problem will be fixed
> soon and then I'll change the appveyor script.

Fixed as of
https://github.com/vim/vim-win32-installer/commit/634e47c8b06e4

So next build will contain separate _pdb.zip archives, that contain only
the pdb files.

Best,
Christian
--
Was ist der Beweis dafür, daß Märchen frei erfunden sind?
Weil der Prinz immer ein intelligenter, gutaussehender Single ist.