website going down

Charles Campbell

Aug 4, 2011, 3:33:16 PM8/4/11
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

It looks like my website will be going down on August 20, courtesy of
verizon's making things difficult.

I'm trying to find another host somewhere; I've tried 0sites, for
example, but for whatever reason it won't display images. This makes
screenshots difficult, for example.
To see it the top level page there, you may try
http://drchip.0sites.net/astronaut/index.html. So, there may be a
hiatus until I get a site that works.

Sorry 'bout that,
Chip Campbell

Jeffrey 'jf' Lim

Aug 4, 2011, 4:16:29 PM8/4/11
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 3:33 AM, Charles Campbell <Charles.E...@nasa.gov> wrote:
Hello,

It looks like my website will be going down on August 20, courtesy of verizon's making things difficult.

what's that about?

I'm trying to find another host somewhere; I've tried 0sites, for example, but for whatever reason it won't display images.  This makes screenshots difficult, for example.
To see it the top level page there, you may try http://drchip.0sites.net/astronaut/index.html.  So, there may be a hiatus until I get a site that works.

I could host u if u want. Let me know.

-jf

and if you use the program, he is your master."
    --Richard Stallman

"It's so hard to write a graphics driver that open-sourcing it would not help."
    -- Andrew Fear, Software Product Manager, NVIDIA Corporation
http://kerneltrap.org/node/7228

Charles Campbell

Aug 4, 2011, 4:35:20 PM8/4/11
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Jeffrey 'jf' Lim wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 3:33 AM, Charles Campbell
> <Charles.E...@nasa.gov <mailto:Charles.E...@nasa.gov>> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> It looks like my website will be going down on August 20, courtesy
> of verizon's making things difficult.
>

> what's that about?

Verizon wants all site updates/definitions to go through their web
interface. I believe that they're planning on removing all site
contents and requiring sites to be "renewed". My site is "simple" html;
it makes it easy for my updating scripts to do things such as keep
version numbers and last-changed-dates correct and up-to-date; plus the
scripts update the "Latest 10 updates" list. I haven't even gone to CSS
because of various constraints verizon has had heretofore.

> I'm trying to find another host somewhere; I've tried 0sites, for
> example, but for whatever reason it won't display images. This
> makes screenshots difficult, for example.
> To see it the top level page there, you may try
> http://drchip.0sites.net/astronaut/index.html. So, there may be a
> hiatus until I get a site that works.
>

> I could host u if u want. Let me know.

I may; thanks!
Chip

sc

Aug 4, 2011, 5:16:36 PM8/4/11
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, August 04, 2011 14:33:16 Charles Campbell wrote:

> Hello,

> It looks like my website will be going down on August 20,
> courtesy of verizon's making things difficult.

you're lucky they host you at all -- my isp is at&t -- first
they stopped supporting usenet, now in july they pulled the
plug on all web hosting -- i've had such underwhelming feeback
about the site i'm probably not even going to find a new host

sc

Jeffrey 'jf' Lim

Aug 4, 2011, 5:19:55 PM8/4/11
to vim...@googlegroups.com

I hope no valuable content goes offline! Otherwise it would be a loss...

sc

Aug 4, 2011, 5:40:15 PM8/4/11
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, August 04, 2011 16:19:55 Jeffrey 'jf' Lim wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 5:16 AM, sc <toot...@swbell.net> wrote:
> > On Thursday, August 04, 2011 14:33:16 Charles Campbell wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > It looks like my website will be going down on August 20,
> > > courtesy of verizon's making things difficult.
> >
> > you're lucky they host you at all -- my isp is at&t -- first
> > they stopped supporting usenet, now in july they pulled the
> > plug on all web hosting -- i've had such underwhelming
> > feeback about the site i'm probably not even going to find
> > a new host

> I hope no valuable content goes offline! Otherwise it would be
> a loss...

hardly valuable, except to me -- the biggest loss will be the
fun i had maintaining it -- i had pictures of my cat, my
latest .vimrc, example scripts to do this that and the other

sc

Vlad Irnov

Aug 5, 2011, 9:30:23 AM8/5/11
to vim_use

On Aug 4, 4:35 pm, Charles Campbell <Charles.E.Campb...@nasa.gov>
wrote:
GitHub provides convenient website hosting,
see http://pages.github.com/

Kristian Frisk

Aug 5, 2011, 9:57:58 AM8/5/11
to vim...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to find another host somewhere; I've tried 0sites, for example, but for whatever reason it won't display images.  This makes screenshots difficult, for example.
To see it the top level page there, you may try http://drchip.0sites.net/astronaut/index.html.  So, there may be a hiatus until I get a site that works.

I have been using Bytemark and can recommend them. http://www.bytemark.co.uk/
Often "extra friendly" to open-source/free software projects.

- Kris

Jeffrey 'jf' Lim

Aug 5, 2011, 8:17:05 PM8/5/11
to vim...@googlegroups.com

Let me just say, so everybody's clear, I am offering "friendly hosting". Hosted on my own personal server, "not-for-a-damned-fee hosting".

BPJ

Aug 7, 2011, 7:02:26 AM8/7/11
to vim...@googlegroups.com

Hasn't the small independent host been invented in the
US? That would be funny as my host here in Sweden rent
their server space in the US! I have all kinds of tools
and account access possibilities for the equivalent of
around �30/year. Not a lot of server space but enough
for me, and more can be had for an equally slim price,
and the same is true if I should get a lot of traffic.
I use the hosting mostly for email. My poor excuse for
a personal site contains only a few essays and drawings
by my youngest kid, and then there are small company
promotion sites for the companies of family members who
aren't kids anymore each on their own domain. Add to
that the fee for 4 domains which makes the total
somewhere between �50 and �800 per year. I haven't even
bothered to compute the total. My main cost is for
internet access itself which I have with a separate
provider; that's at around �15/month.

/bpj