man.vim and ansi escape characters

Anders Thøgersen

Jan 15, 2017, 2:25:14 PM1/15/17
to vim_use
I have a problem when using man.vim that I see a lot of incomplete
ansi control characters and I have not been able to track down
the source of this. Any help is appreciated!

When I start vim with:

vim --noplugin -U NONE

and do

:runtime ftplugin/man.vim
:Man ls

I get a man page with a lot of garbled stuff in it, ie.

LS(1) User Commands LS(1)

1mNAME0m
ls - list directory contents

1mSYNOPSIS0m
1mls 22m[4mOPTION24m]... [4mFILE24m]...

1mDESCRIPTION0m

It seems that the escape characters have been incompletely removed.

I am on a newly installed Linux laptop and am running vim 8.0.192
that I compiled --with-features=huge and am using a setup that
I had used on a different machine.

Could there be something in my environment that is problematic?

Frank Shute

Jan 15, 2017, 4:58:57 PM1/15/17
to vim...@googlegroups.com
My guess is that your version of Linux is set up to show colorised man pages
and that is why you're getting those wacky escape sequences.

Have a look at the manpage for man. It might indicate how to turn that feature
off.

The ftplugin has an associated syntax file which does the colorizing of the
man pages for vim.

HTH.
> --
> --
>
> ---

Frank

Anders Thøgersen

Jan 16, 2017, 1:23:51 PM1/16/17
to vim_use
Den søndag den 15. januar 2017 kl. 22.58.57 UTC+1 skrev Frank Shute:
> My guess is that your version of Linux is set up to show colorised man pages
> and that is why you're getting those wacky escape sequences.
>
> Have a look at the manpage for man. It might indicate how to turn that feature
> off.
>
> The ftplugin has an associated syntax file which does the colorizing of the
> man pages for vim.
>
> HTH.

Thanks for you reply. I am sure you are right, but I cannot find the
setting that changes it after having tried a couple of things, setting
the terminal to dumb and changing PAGER, etc. I still have escape sequences.

The best solution for me is to pipe pages through sed, but that is not
possible with man.vim since /usr/bin/man is hard coded in the script. I think
I will file an issue on github. :-)