Terminal issues with vim + tmux + Bitvise SSH Server

Florian Bruhin

Aug 26, 2015, 9:15:33 AM8/26/15
to v...@vim.org
Hi!

I regularely access my Windows VM using SSH via BitVise SSH Server[1].
Using vim via VNC in a cmd.exe works fine and as expected.

However, via SSH, I noticed the following problems:

- The cursor is only visible in insert mode - outside of insert mode,
I get no visible cursor at all.

- When I press backspace, an U+2302 HOUSE[2] is inserted instead of a
character being deleted.

- When I press the escape key, I have to wait some time before
continuing to type - otherwise, strange symbols are inserted (e.g.
an 'i' with diaeresis for <Esc>o)

My terminal is rxvt-unicode -> tmux -> ssh to Windows. When I drop the
tmux part, it seems only the last problem persists (which I can live
with).

Any idea what could be going wrong, and if there's some workaround I
could do in the SSH server/tmux/vim?

Thanks,

Florian

[1] https://www.bitvise.com/ssh-server
[2] http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2302/index.htm

--
http://www.the-compiler.org | m...@the-compiler.org (Mail/XMPP)

Florian Bruhin

Aug 26, 2015, 1:09:08 PM8/26/15
to v...@vim.org
* Florian Bruhin <m...@the-compiler.org> [2015-08-26 08:47:20 +0200]:
> My terminal is rxvt-unicode -> tmux -> ssh to Windows. When I drop the
> tmux part, it seems only the last problem persists (which I can live
> with).
>
> Any idea what could be going wrong, and if there's some workaround I
> could do in the SSH server/tmux/vim?

It seems I can work around the other issues by doing
"TERM=linux ssh windowsmachine". Seeing a cursor and being able to use
backspace just makes editing a lot better! :)

If someone knows the proper solution to this however, I'd still be all
ears. My TERM is set to screen-256color in my .tmuxrc (which was IIRC
the only way to get 256color output working everywhere, and never
caused any trouble apart from this).

Florian