Solver in vim?

Uwe Husmann

Aug 26, 2015, 9:15:37 AM8/26/15
to v...@vim.org
Today i've seen a blogpost about some very interesting tools that i haven't seen before.

Those are textpads that will recognize and solve mathematical formulas and equations.

I just wonder if there are similar plugins for vim that will do the same thing or at least go in the same direction?

Thank you all,
Uwe

Erik Christiansen

Aug 26, 2015, 10:03:07 AM8/26/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On 26.08.15 15:00, Uwe Husmann wrote:
> Those are textpads that will recognize and solve mathematical formulas and
> equations.
>
> I just wonder if there are similar plugins for vim that will do the same
> thing or at least go in the same direction?

Sounds like an attempt to build a new emacs. Trying to imitate every
application which passes by seems a strange practice when it is easier
to use and manage a suite of applications, each of which caters well for
one area of work - such as text editing.

Take a look at the *nix application "units". It'll take expressions
like:

You have: (400 W/m^2 / stefanboltzmann)^(1/4)
You want: kelvin
* 289.80881
/ 0.0034505507

You have: 2 btu + 450 ft lbf
You want: btu
* 2.5782804
/ 0.38785542

You have: 5 kg * 1 m * (10 radians/second)^2
You want: newtons
* 500
/ 0.002

You have: wiregauge(22)
You want: mm
* 0.6438033
/ 1.5532695

The nifty thing about "units" is that it protests if you muck up the
dimensions. (Try leaving off the "^2" in the f = mrw^2 computation,
above.)

There doesn't seem to be much point reinventing the wheel when there are
so many of them floating around already. Piping a line of text out to
another application is something that Vim already does.

Erik

--
"Ben and Paddy (police officers from Ramingining, about 20 kilometres away) came
over and took it away from me." - Damien Lumsden referring to an unexploded WW2

Charles Campbell

Aug 26, 2015, 12:04:06 PM8/26/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Along this line of reasoning: check out sage or macsyma. If you'd like
a commercial product, check out maple.

Regards,
Chip Campbell

Brennen Bearnes

Aug 26, 2015, 7:00:14 PM8/26/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 10:03 AM, Charles Campbell
<Charles.E...@nasa.gov> wrote:

> Along this line of reasoning: check out sage or macsyma. If you'd like
> a commercial product, check out maple.

OP might also be interested in something like IPython / Jupyter:
https://jupyter.org/