background=dark-curiosity

Niels Kobschaetzki

Jul 18, 2015, 9:11:35 AM7/18/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I just noticed something weird in my setup. In my .vimrc I have the
following setting: "set background=dark" and I am using the color scheme
desert.

When I do now in the editor:
:set background=light
the colors change as expected

When I do now a
:set background=dark
the colors change again but not to the colors I got when I started vim
but a bit more brighter which looks actually better.

I wonder now
a) what is the reason for it?
b) what can I do to get the even brighter color after setting the
background to light and back to dark again?

I tried already setting in .vimrc:
set backround=dark
set background=light
set background=dark

but that didn't work.

Any help is appreciated :)

Niels

Nikolay Pavlov

Jul 18, 2015, 5:09:16 PM7/18/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
:set background additionally acts like `:colorscheme default`. If you
call :colorscheme after this it is up to the colorscheme itself to
(dis)respect &background setting. If you need colors like with `set
background=light` do `set background=light` in the vimrc *and* remove
`:colorscheme desert` call.

> Any help is appreciated :)
>
> Niels
>
> --

Niels Kobschaetzki

Jul 20, 2015, 7:12:09 AM7/20/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On 19/07 00:09, Nikolay Pavlov wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just noticed something weird in my setup. In my .vimrc I have the
>> following setting: "set background=dark" and I am using the color scheme
>> desert.
>>
>> When I do now in the editor: :set background=light
>> the colors change as expected
>>
>> When I do now a :set background=dark
>> the colors change again but not to the colors I got when I started vim
>> but a bit more brighter which looks actually better.
>>
>> I wonder now
>> a) what is the reason for it?
>> b) what can I do to get the even brighter color after setting the
>> background to light and back to dark again?
>>
>> I tried already setting in .vimrc: set backround=dark
>> set background=light
>> set background=dark
>>
>> but that didn't work.
>
>:set background additionally acts like `:colorscheme default`. If you
>call :colorscheme after this it is up to the colorscheme itself to
>(dis)respect &background setting. If you need colors like with `set
>background=light` do `set background=light` in the vimrc *and* remove
>`:colorscheme desert` call.

Aah, thanks a lot. I didn't know this :)

Niels