Using VIM as a IDLE for Python 3.

Wilson Baron

Dec 3, 2017, 3:33:51 AM12/3/17
to vim_use
Hello There,

I am a Vim newbie, and I was wondering if anyone can suggest an already existing post for using VIM as an IDLE for Python 3, or a good tutorial to follow up.

I am using Debian 9 as my OS. Any advise is highly appreciated

Cheers
Wilson

Shlomi Fish

Dec 3, 2017, 3:52:54 AM12/3/17
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wilson!

On Sat, 2 Dec 2017 22:56:08 -0800 (PST)
Wilson Baron <wilson...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello There,
>
> I am a Vim newbie, and I was wondering if anyone can suggest an already
> existing post for using VIM as an IDLE for Python 3, or a good tutorial to
> follow up.

IDLE is a particular
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_development_environment (or IDE for
short). If you want to use vim as a python dev env, then I can suggest
https://github.com/nvie/vim-flake8 and some other stuff from my vim
configuration - see
https://github.com/shlomif/shlomif-computer-settings/tree/master/shlomif-settings/vim-conf .

Regards,

Shlomi

> I am using Debian 9 as my OS. Any advise is highly appreciated
>
> Cheers
> Wilson

Felipe Vieira

Dec 4, 2017, 10:27:09 AM12/4/17
to vim_use

Wilson,

I can recommend python-mode (https://github.com/python-mode/python-mode).
It aims to integrate a lot of development tools into a single plugin.

Currently we offer:

* Syntax highlighting
* Virtualenv support
* Run python code (<leader>r)
* Add/remove breakpoints (<leader>b)
* Improved Python indentation
* Python motions and operators (]], 3[[, ]]M, vaC, viM, daC, ciM, ...)
* Improved Python folding
* Run multiple code checkers simultaneously (:PymodeLint)
* Autofix PEP8 errors (:PymodeLintAuto)
* Search in python documentation (<leader>K)
* Code refactoring
* Intellisense code-completion
* Go to definition (<C-c>g)

You can also run your python files inside vim and capture the stdout into a new
window.

As to the code checkers we have several so you don't have to install them
separately.

The project is going thru a lot of redesign and improvements so you can expect
some minor bugs but also the possibility of help us improving it.

Disclaimer: I am the maintainer of the mentioned project.

Best,