E365 hardcopy

Phil Dobbin

Mar 31, 2012, 7:38:16 AM3/31/12
to vim...@googlegroups.com

Tony Mechelynck

Mar 31, 2012, 9:23:54 AM3/31/12
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Phil Dobbin
On 31/03/12 13:38, Phil Dobbin wrote:

> Hi, all.
>
> Out of the blue this morning my Debian Squeeze Vim (7.2.445 console=huge
> GUI=gtk2+huge) has started throwing the hardcopy error:
>
> `E365: Failed to print Postscript file`
>
> this is on both the GUI & console Debian supplied Vims.
>
> Apt hasn't downloaded & installed any print updates recently & I can
> print the same test files from gedit, etc.
>
> Last time I had this on setting up Vim on Fedora it was a print
> preferences error (different name for the printer than specified in my
> vimrc) but this is not the case in this instance.
>
> I printed from this Vim on this machine a couple of days ago no problem
> & I haven't altered my runtime or machine settings in the meantime.
>
> Any help appreciated,
>
> Cheers,
>
> Phil...

- Any recent changes in the PostScript / groff / other related� packages
on your system?
- See also ":help print.txt" and in particular:
- :help print-intro
- :help print-options

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Real computer scientists despise the idea of actual hardware. Hardware
has limitations, software doesn't. It's a real shame that Turing

Phil Dobbin

Mar 31, 2012, 12:03:36 PM3/31/12
to Tony Mechelynck, vim...@googlegroups.com

On 31/03/2012 14:23, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> On 31/03/12 13:38, Phil Dobbin wrote:

>> Out of the blue this morning my Debian Squeeze Vim (7.2.445 console=huge
>> GUI=gtk2+huge) has started throwing the hardcopy error:
>>
>> `E365: Failed to print Postscript file`
>>
>> this is on both the GUI & console Debian supplied Vims.
>>
>> Apt hasn't downloaded & installed any print updates recently & I can
>> print the same test files from gedit, etc.
>>
>> Last time I had this on setting up Vim on Fedora it was a print
>> preferences error (different name for the printer than specified in my
>> vimrc) but this is not the case in this instance.
>>
>> I printed from this Vim on this machine a couple of days ago no problem
>> & I haven't altered my runtime or machine settings in the meantime.

> - Any recent changes in the PostScript / groff / other related� packages

> on your system?
> - See also ":help print.txt" and in particular:
> - :help print-intro
> - :help print-options

Hi, Tony.

No, nothing has changed on the system (only nagios has been installed &
that came without the print monitor option) & I've read & re-read the
above help files several times but nothing in there seems to be relevant.

`h: E365` isn't much help either I find, so I'm stumped. I have exactly
the same runtime files on my Vim in OS X & that's OK so that probably
excludes a plugin problem.

I'll have to run `dpkg -l` & sift through that to see if I can spot
anything blindingly obvious but I'd've thought if that was the case all
the other apps that I can print from would suffer too (lpr can print
from the command line too).

Cheers,

Phil...

- --
But masters, remember that I am an ass.
Though it be not written down,
yet forget not that I am an ass.

Phil Dobbin

Mar 31, 2012, 7:45:00 PM3/31/12

On 31/03/2012 17:03, Phil Dobbin wrote:

> On 31/03/2012 14:23, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
>
>> On 31/03/12 13:38, Phil Dobbin wrote:
>
>>> Out of the blue this morning my Debian Squeeze Vim (7.2.445
>>> console=huge GUI=gtk2+huge) has started throwing the hardcopy
>>> error:
>>>
>>> `E365: Failed to print Postscript file`
>>>
>>> this is on both the GUI & console Debian supplied Vims.
>>>
>>> Apt hasn't downloaded & installed any print updates recently &
>>> I can print the same test files from gedit, etc.
>>>
>>> Last time I had this on setting up Vim on Fedora it was a
>>> print preferences error (different name for the printer than
>>> specified in my vimrc) but this is not the case in this
>>> instance.
>>>
>>> I printed from this Vim on this machine a couple of days ago no
>>> problem & I haven't altered my runtime or machine settings in
>>> the meantime.
>
>> - Any recent changes in the PostScript / groff / other related�
>> packages on your system? - See also ":help print.txt" and in
>> particular: - :help print-intro - :help print-options

> No, nothing has changed on the system (only nagios has been

> installed & that came without the print monitor option) & I've read
> & re-read the above help files several times but nothing in there
> seems to be relevant.
>
> `h: E365` isn't much help either I find, so I'm stumped. I have
> exactly the same runtime files on my Vim in OS X & that's OK so
> that probably excludes a plugin problem.
>
> I'll have to run `dpkg -l` & sift through that to see if I can
> spot anything blindingly obvious but I'd've thought if that was the
> case all the other apps that I can print from would suffer too (lpr
> can print from the command line too).

I solved the hardcopy problem by commenting out the `pdev` line in my
vimrc. Why Vim decided it was no longer correct is a mystery. It
hadn't changed for months. I can only surmise that a fractional change
in something somewhere caused this but I haven't been able to trace it.

Before, Vim wouldn't print without it, now it won't print with it.

Cheers,

Phil...

- --