vim (MacVim) locked up

Eric Weir

Jul 17, 2015, 9:06:26 AM7/17/15
to vim_mac
For the first time ever, vim has locked up on me. It seems my only option is to quit without saving.

Is there anyway I can get to the unsaved buffers to save them outside vim?

Thanks,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
eew...@bellsouth.net

"What does it mean...that the world is so beautiful?"

- Mary Oliver

Niklas Lindström

Jul 17, 2015, 9:38:04 AM7/17/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric,

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 3:06 PM, Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
For the first time ever, vim has locked up on me. It seems my only option is to quit without saving.

Is there anyway I can get to the unsaved buffers to save them outside vim?

Usually, if Vim crashes, it'll leave swap files behind for each edited file or buffer (commonly named ".<name-of-file>.swp"). Once opening the file in Vim again, it will alert you of the presence of a swap file and allow you to recover the state of the file before Vim crashed.

It is also possible to recover unsaved buffers (i.e. without a file name), by having Vim :cd to the directory it was in when the buffer was crated (that directory would then contain an "anonymous" swap file) and using the :recover command.

For more info, see Vim's built-in help:

    :help recover.txt

Hope this helps,
Niklas

Thanks,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net

"What does it mean...that the world is so beautiful?"

- Mary Oliver

---