I found .viminfo on my server ?

Vinny van Gogh

Apr 7, 2015, 3:41:43 AM4/7/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
I have a virtual server and was having problems getting getting 301 Redirects to function.
Its a sage and I thought I had already posted this question.. but cannot find it anywhere!

Last night the redirects kicked in - this morning - I found .viminfo in the server. this is teh code.
# This viminfo file was generated by Vim 7.2.
# You may edit it if you're careful!

# Value of 'encoding' when this file was written
*encoding=latin1

# hlsearch on (H) or off (h):
~h
# Command Line History (newest to oldest):
:quit

# Search String History (newest to oldest):

# Expression History (newest to oldest):

# Input Line History (newest to oldest):

# Input Line History (newest to oldest):

# Registers:

# File marks:
'0 1 0 ~/.htaccess

# Jumplist (newest first):
-' 1 0 ~/.htaccess

# History of marks within files (newest to oldest):

> ~/.htaccess
" 1 0
I am guessing the tech support have been doing things - although they simply say .htaccess and 301 redirects are "allowed". The "mother" server is Apache - but virtual servers have no cPanel.

Could some kind person explain the code and its purpose - and should it be there or should the hosts have removed it after they did what they say they do not need to!

TIA

PS Aplogies if my other post turns up!

Kyle Lippincott

Apr 7, 2015, 4:32:57 PM4/7/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
.viminfo is written when a user runs vim, it saves a bit of state so that if the user runs vim again, they can see what commands they ran last time, etc.  It is not an issue, is not causing any issues, and can be safely deleted.  That said, here's what each line means

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 5:53 PM, Vinny van Gogh <vinnyva...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a virtual server and was having problems getting getting 301 Redirects to function.
Its a sage and I thought I  had already posted this question.. but cannot find it anywhere!

Last night the redirects kicked in - this morning - I  found .viminfo in the server. this is teh code.
# This viminfo file was generated by Vim 7.2.
# You may edit it if you're careful!

Lines starting with # are comments, and have no effect.

# Value of 'encoding' when this file was written
*encoding=latin1

This means the user was using a standard english encoding (vs. japanese, unicode, etc.)

# hlsearch on (H) or off (h):
~h

If the user searches for something, other instances will NOT be highlighted.

# Command Line History (newest to oldest):
:quit

The only command they ran was :quit, which quits vim.  They didn't write out any changes to any files they opened (like .htaccess).

# Search String History (newest to oldest):

# Expression History (newest to oldest):

# Input Line History (newest to oldest):

# Input Line History (newest to oldest):

# Registers:

# File marks:
'0  1  0  ~/.htaccess

Their last position in the file was on line one.

# Jumplist (newest first):
-'  1  0  ~/.htaccess

A slightly different way of stating the above

# History of marks within files (newest to oldest):

> ~/.htaccess
        "       1       0

Yet another way of stating the above. :)  There's several different concepts about being able to bookmark locations in the file, and these three all affect different aspects of that general system.  They all seem to indicate that the user ran something like 'vi .htaccess', and then quit without really moving the cursor or doing anything else.  Probably just to see the contents of the file.

I am guessing the  tech support have been doing  things - although   they  simply say  .htaccess and 301 redirects are "allowed". The "mother" server is Apache - but virtual servers have no cPanel.

Could some kind person  explain the code and its purpose - and should it be there or should  the  hosts have removed it after they did what they say they  do not need to!

It's not "should" or "shouldn't" be there.  It's just a convenience file stored so that there's some persistence to things like command-line history.  If I were your admin, I probably wouldn't have thought to remove it when I was done.  You can leave it there (it won't affect anything unless there's some really weird settings about permissions of all files under a directory tree; the contents of the file should not matter to anyone except the vim text editor), or delete it, it's entirely up to you.

TIA

PS   Aplogies if my other post turns up!

---