Different Option-Key Combination in MacVim and Other Applications

Yongwei Wu

Dec 15, 2014, 9:39:42 AM12/15/14
to vim...@googlegroups.com
To my surprise, I have found the option key behave differently in my
MacVim 73 and outside MacVim.

In MacVim (with or without "-u NONE"):

Option-Q: ñ
Option-W: ÷
Option-A: á
Option-Z: ú
Option-[: Û
Option-]: Ý

Outside MacVim:

Option-Q: œ
Option-W: ∑
Option-A: å
Option-Z: Ω
Option-[: “
Option-]: ‘

Surprisingly, this only occurs on my Lion laptop. MacVim 66 on an old
Snow Leopard machine behaves like a normal Mac app.

Does anyone know the reason? Is there a way to revert to the standard
Mac option-key combination?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

--
Wu Yongwei

Limin Tang

Dec 16, 2014, 3:29:48 PM12/16/14
to vim...@googlegroups.com
MacVim 73 has different builds for 10.6/10.7/10/8/10.9/10.10, are you using the correct build?

Yongwei Wu

Dec 16, 2014, 5:55:36 PM12/16/14
to vim...@googlegroups.com
I built it myself from the source code…. I did not make any changes.
> --
> --
>
> ---

Andrew Stewart

Dec 17, 2014, 3:09:39 AM12/17/14
to vim...@googlegroups.com
>> On Monday, December 15, 2014 6:39:42 AM UTC-8, Yongwei Wu wrote:
>>> To my surprise, I have found the option key behave differently in my
>>> MacVim 73 and outside MacVim.
>>>
>>> In MacVim (with or without "-u NONE"):
>>>
>>> Option-Q: ñ
>>> Option-W: ÷
>>> Option-A: á
>>> Option-Z: ú
>>> Option-[: Û
>>> Option-]: Ý
>>>
>>> Outside MacVim:
>>>
>>> Option-Q: œ
>>> Option-W: ∑
>>> Option-A: å
>>> Option-Z: Ω
>>> Option-[: “
>>> Option-]: ‘
>>>
>>> Surprisingly, this only occurs on my Lion laptop. MacVim 66 on an old
>>> Snow Leopard machine behaves like a normal Mac app.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know the reason? Is there a way to revert to the standard
>>> Mac option-key combination?

For what it's worth I'm on Mountain Lion and running MacVim 7.4.542 (built from source). I see your second set of results ("Outside MacVim") when I press those keys in MacVim.

Yours,
Andy Stewart