Getting Started

Robert Koehler

Mar 21, 2017, 8:49:16 PM3/21/17
to vim...@vim.org
Please assume there is an Idiots Guide for VIM. What would it filled with? I am completely new. All I know is how to access VIM through the terminal.

Tony Mechelynck

Mar 21, 2017, 8:54:56 PM3/21/17
to vim_mac, vim...@vim.org, robert...@me.com
On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 1:49:16 AM UTC+1, Robert Koehler wrote:
> Please assume there is an Idiots Guide for VIM. What would it filled with? I am completely new. All I know is how to access VIM through the terminal.

Simple: Install Vim on your system, then run the vimtutor program. It will present you with a series of lessons (extremely well-written IMHO) about how to use Vim.

Nicola

Mar 22, 2017, 4:37:04 AM3/22/17
to vim...@googlegroups.com
I second that. I have found this guide to be pretty good, too:

https://github.com/mhinz/vim-galore

Nicola

Tony Mechelynck

Mar 22, 2017, 11:46:08 AM3/22/17
to vim_mac, vim...@vim.org, robert...@me.com

P.S. There is also a gvimtutor but I don't know whether it can be used with macvim. (I think ir does, but I cannot check it because I'm not on a Mac.) If it can't, it shouls work with gvim for X11 but on a Mac this is much less practical.

Best regards,
Tony.