Plugins, Bundle, Autoload, etc - Installing for used with MacVim GUI

Aron Rightious

Oct 23, 2016, 12:40:18 AM10/23/16
to vim_mac
Hi!

I am trying to install vim-go, and am not having luck.

The biggest issue that I am noticing is the documentation for vim, and most plugins, etc describe a user installing via the terminal.

They do not address installing the MacVim GUI in the applications folder.

Before I dig myself too deep - is there something I should know here?

What I've been trying is downloading the plugin/bundle via 'git clone', then moving those files to what LOOKS LIKE the corresponding files in:

Applications/MacVim/Contents/Resources/vim/runtime/"corresponding folder"

What has worked: I added a color scheme and updated my vimrc file. The color changes took place.

Other than that, I can't get anything else to work.

I guess my ultimate question is...

How to install the above when MacVim in the Applications folder.

Thanks :-)

Benji Fisher

Oct 23, 2016, 11:32:24 AM10/23/16
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Aron:

     I do not use Go.  When I search for "vim go", the first result is https://github.com/fatih/vim-go, so I will assume that is what you mean.  Next time you post a question, please include a few links so that we do not have to guess.

     If you install plugins under Applications/MacVim/Contents/Resources/vim/runtime, then you will have to re-install them the next time you update vim.  I suppose there are cases where this is what you want, but for most people this is a problem.

     I recommend following the standard installation, using Terminal.app or similar.

     If you really want to avoid using a command line, then the sticking point seems to be creating .vim in your home directory.  AFAICT there is no way to do this from Finder.app.  Luckily, you can do it from vim:

:call mkdir($HOME . '/.vim')

Then you can access it from Finder.app using Go > Go to Folder... (command-shift-G) and entering ~/.vim

HTH
--
Benji Fisher