Official MacVim Repository?

RPDooling

Jun 24, 2015, 9:44:21 AM6/24/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com

I am a writer, not a programmer, so I don't know how these things are handled, but I would not want to be a Mac user curious to find and try the latest version of MacVim.

Googling on MacVim still steers mainly to Bjorn's repository with no indication (for the unsophisticated anyway) WHERE to download the latest version of the program.

Shouldn't there at least be some kind of notice posted there? With a link to a place where a new MacVim user could say, "Okay, so where do I download the latest version and how do I install it?"

Rick

Gas Creature

Jun 25, 2015, 7:36:23 AM6/25/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick,
Yes, unfortunately, all the bits of information is scattered. Have you looked on the Vim Wiki? Let us know what you find there if you look. Here is what I did:

1. From the Homebrew web site, install Homebrew using their shell command.
Then from Terminal, with "brew" installed, and in your own user account (not root)...
2. brew install macvim --override-system-vim
3. brew linkapps macvim
4. Add to your /home/username/.profile (or .bashrc) these definitions:
export EDITOR=mvim
export VISUAL="mvim -f"
export FCEDIT=mvim

I learned about the above from these two posts, the first one perhaps having the most information:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/59375/how-do-i-install-macvim

https://github.com/Valloric/YouCompleteMe#mac-os-x-super-quick-installation

Douglas Drumond

Jul 7, 2015, 4:43:20 AM7/7/15
to Mac Vim
I saw the issue now, I've been absent again (I was opening a business), but now I'm back and working to be on track.

I'll set up github pages (and pull requests are welcome). There's already a gh-pages branch (it's where github pages live), but no content yet (just the autogenerated one). Working on it.