Scrolling performance via keyboard is affected by window size

Amadeus Demarzi

Mar 26, 2014, 11:10:32 PM3/26/14
to vim...@googlegroups.com
I am currently running MacVim 7.4 1-210 on a retina display macbook pro, for reference, and these performance issues are with all plugins and vimrc's disabled.

Essentially I've noticed if I have a single buffer open and macvim full screened (or a large window) the scrolling performance seems noticeable slower. If I have the window fairly narrow or have to splits up (which essentially makes the window narrower) then scrolling performance seems much quicker and smoother. By scrolling I mean either useing h/j/k/l or ctrl+e/y. Scrolling with the mouse does NOT seem affected or it's so subtly different I can't really tell.

I think I partly notice this because I have a very high keyboard repeat rate set (as done here: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20090823193018149 ). Also, it's not like the performance is bad, just noticeably slower.

It should be noted that I see these issues on the laptop's retina screen, not a large third party external monitor.

I suppose I could make a video if absolutely necessary, but I am sure it's fairly easy to reproduce.