MacVim maintenance

Björn Winckler

Jan 21, 2015, 1:05:50 PM1/21/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

For quite some time now I have been unable to keep up with maintaining
MacVim and I've constantly been thinking that during the "next"
holidays I'll fix the outstanding issues. It is becoming apparent
that I'll never be able to find that time so I'm going to have to step
down as maintainer of MacVim.

My apologies for taking so long to announce this. I did spend a few
days recently trying to fix some of the issues appearing on Yosemite
but I've not in that time been able to come up with a satisfactory
solution. This was perhaps the turning point where I realized I would
never be able to find enough time to keep up.

If anybody is interested in taking over as maintainer, please let me
know and I'll fill you in on the workflow I've used to update Vim
patches and release snapshots etc.

Björn

Douglas Drumond

Jan 21, 2015, 1:18:25 PM1/21/15
to Björn Winckler, vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi Björn,

I really appreciate what you made so far and I'm very thankful for your work. I've been helping with the other OS X versions, and I'd like to see MacVim keep going, so I offer to keep the work.

Thanks.

All the best,

--
Douglas Drumond

amadeus...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2015, 2:39:59 PM1/21/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
I'd be willing to step in and help with keeping it up to date with vim patches. However I don't know C well enough to actually fix bugs, etc, so I only see myself as being able to help peripherally.

Speaking of this, I had been using the techniques in your Wiki to keep my fork up to date, however, something occured recently with a recent version of mercurial or hg-git where simply merging didn't work. It would attempt to re-merge the ENTIRE code-base, and I was unable to fix it. So my workaround has been just cherry-picking the new commits as they come in.

Adam Horner

Jan 24, 2015, 8:35:02 AM1/24/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Björn,

Thanks for all your work on MacVim, it has been a massive donation of time and talent, not to mention your patience with questions to this list. I use MacVim every day, most of the day and I’d like to acknowledge the incredible contribution you’ve given to the community of users on the mac platform over the years.

Thank you,
Adam.

---

Tim Gray

Jan 24, 2015, 9:02:15 AM1/24/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Jan 21, 2015 at 07:05 PM +0100, Björn Winckler wrote:
>If anybody is interested in taking over as maintainer, please let me
>know and I'll fill you in on the workflow I've used to update Vim
>patches and release snapshots etc.

Thank you for all the excellent work you've done over the years. I use
MacVim daily and have since 2011. Switching to Vim was quite a
revelation and having a Vim that played nicely with OS X made it that
much better for my purposes.

I hope someone picks up where Björn left off and continues maintenance.

Tim

Chris Lott

Jan 24, 2015, 1:13:40 PM1/24/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 9:05 AM, Björn Winckler <bjorn.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
For quite some time now I have been unable to keep up with maintaining
MacVim and I've constantly been thinking that during the "next"
holidays I'll fix the outstanding issues.  It is becoming apparent
that I'll never be able to find that time so I'm going to have to step
down as maintainer of MacVim.

Thank you for all your work on MacVim, Björn. I've been a heavy user of MacVim for a few years. You're a Vim-Hero!

I wish I had the skills and time to help keep the project going!

Chris Lott <ch...@chrislott.org>

Andrew Stewart

Jan 26, 2015, 4:17:30 AM1/26/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com

On 21 Jan 2015, at 19:05, Björn Winckler <bjorn.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For quite some time now I have been unable to keep up with maintaining
> MacVim and I've constantly been thinking that during the "next"
> holidays I'll fix the outstanding issues. It is becoming apparent
> that I'll never be able to find that time so I'm going to have to step
> down as maintainer of MacVim.

Thank you very much Björn for all your work on MacVim and the mailing list. I use MacVim practically all day every day and I am most grateful.

Yours,
Andrew Stewart

RPDooling

Jan 26, 2015, 7:53:55 AM1/26/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Dear Björn:

I spend most of my day in MacVim doing all kinds of writing, and now that I count the years, I moved to Mac in 2008, so have been the lucky beneficiary of all of your hard work for seven plus years. Unlike most people here, I'm not a programmer really (a Python amateur at best), just a heavy user for writing my books, screenplays, and classroom materials.

In 7-8 years, I can't recall a MacVim crash. Ever. Once I forgot to comment out a line in my .vimrc and I got some kind of a blank screen, but that was MY fault. And it made me realize, "This thing NEVER breaks."

Such great work and deeply appreciated.

Richard Dooling

Douglas Drumond

Jan 26, 2015, 8:21:48 AM1/26/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

There's no amount of e-mail or words to express my gratitude towards what Björn did. MacVim brings vim to a whole new level, the best editor with the best GUI.

As in the movie A Beautiful Mind:
Hansen: So how about it, Nash? You scared?
Nash: Terrified... mortified... petrified... stupefied.

Björn made such a great work that set the bar so high for me. I'll try my best to keep the good work.

Just a quick first note, though, I intend to publish a new snapshot with the new vim patches until next week.

--
Douglas Drumond

Björn Winckler

Jan 26, 2015, 9:16:55 AM1/26/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Great response. Thanks guys.

I forgot to say that Douglas is taking over maintenance (thanks to
amadeusdemarzi who also offered to help). Douglas has been releasing
snapshots for "older" versions of OS X for a while now so it is great
that he'll take over.

Best wishes,
Björn

P.S. Douglas, I tried applying the latest Vim patches a few days ago
but there is some breakage related to the ":macaction" command, in
particular ":maca addNewTab:" didn't work. Email me if you run into
problems.

Yuma Antoine Decaux

Jan 26, 2015, 11:26:57 AM1/26/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
I just wanted to thank everyone for keeping mac vim maintained, as a blind programmer.

Cheers,

P.S:

Yuma Antoine Decaux
"Light has no value without darkness"
Mob: +612102277190
Skype: Shainobi1

Yan Zhou

Jan 28, 2015, 2:54:32 AM1/28/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
I just want to thank everyone, esp. Bjorn, for the hard work all these years. I have been using MacVim ever since it first appears years ago and I cannot imagine without it.

Douglas, thanks for maintaining MacVim for the future. Just a quick question, will there be a new repo or shall we keep watch the old one?

Douglas Drumond

Jan 28, 2015, 3:49:36 AM1/28/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com

I made a fork to github.com/douglasdrumond/macvim (back when I was just doing the other builds), I'll keep using it. The page at code.google.com/p/macvim will point to it.

--
Douglas Drumond

amadeus...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2015, 2:55:32 PM2/9/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
So what's the status on this now that it's been taken over. Is there a place where we can monitor updates, etc?

There's still been no activity.

Douglas Drumond

Feb 9, 2015, 8:47:47 PM2/9/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 5:55 PM, <amadeus...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So what's the status on this now that it's been taken over. Is there a place where we can monitor updates, etc?
>
> There's still been no activity.

Sorry for delaying this, I was preparing a course for work and there were a lot of things to be done before the holidays (next week is a big holiday in Brazil, it goes from next Saturday until Wednesday).

I'm right now working on this. So, for sure, until the holidays is the limit.

I set up a Twitter account for status update: https://twitter.com/macvim_status

--
Douglas Drumond

Dado Feigenblatt

Feb 9, 2015, 9:30:36 PM2/9/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Douglas, apparently that twitter account has been suspended.

Thanks,
Dado

Douglas Drumond

Feb 9, 2015, 9:39:26 PM2/9/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 12:30 AM, Dado Feigenblatt <v...@dado.org> wrote:

> Douglas, apparently that twitter account has been suspended.
>
> Thanks,
> Dado

I don't know what happened, I created the account, followed my other account and got suspended for suspicious activity (usually it occurs when one follows and unfollows several accounts in a short period of time). Anyway, I just had to enter a captcha and it's working now.

--
Douglas Drumond

amadeus...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2015, 2:15:16 PM2/10/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, thanks for the update!

Holger Rapp

Feb 12, 2015, 4:05:08 AM2/12/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Björn, thanks for your hard work on MacVim. Also bravo for realizing that you cannot keep up and handing it over, that takes quite some insight!

Douglas, thanks for taking over! A chance we might see neovim now in MacVim 8).

Yan Zhou

Feb 12, 2015, 5:42:47 AM2/12/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
I don't think you will have that chance. MacVim is always Vim, and MacVim version number is the Vim version number. Of course this is not my decision to make, but I will be very surprised if MacVim ever stop tracking Vim in the foreseeable future.

Douglas Drumond

Feb 12, 2015, 12:20:49 PM2/12/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 8:42 AM, Yan Zhou <zhouy...@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't think you will have that chance. MacVim is always Vim, and MacVim version number is the Vim version number. Of course this is not my decision to make, but I will be very surprised if MacVim ever stop tracking Vim in the foreseeable future.

​I don't intend to migrate MacVim to Neovim, I'll follow the guidelines already stablished (for instance, once in a while someone will ask to change the icon and my answer == Björn's answer).
Maybe in the future there will be two projects, MacVim and MacNeovim.

Yuma Antoine Decaux

Feb 28, 2015, 3:57:19 PM2/28/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

I’m the blind coder who lovs vim more than his cat of recent date.

I wanted to see how the console was being output when running actions as I cannot read the results anywhere in mac vbim and would like to find a method to have it announced through either say in the command line or even integrate it into the macvim environment.

This will be very useful for me as I am starting another semester at uni and eclipse not being accessible, I use mac vim and eclim for this purpose.

I am also willing to help somewhat, at least to render a few things more intuitive for screen readers on mac vim.

Kudos in any case. This avoids me from using windows and its horrible screen reader.

Best regards,

Yuma Antoine Decaux
"Light has no value without darkness"
Mob: +612102277190
Skype: Shainobi1

A-Dubb

Mar 2, 2015, 5:27:58 PM3/2/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
I too am grateful for MacVim and rely on it for my daily coding chores. I want to thank bjorn and the community for all the support and contributions. Vim reminds me of the Old Spice commercial (smell like a man, man). And I thank you.

Jeet Sukumaran

Mar 4, 2015, 3:11:03 PM3/4/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much, Björn, for all your hard work and effort. Really, really, really, really appreciated!

And thank you, too, Douglas Drumond and others for taking on the task: really, really, really, really, appreciated as well!

Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza

Mar 4, 2015, 10:02:56 PM3/4/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Indeed, thanks Björn, I use MacVim everyday and prefer it by far over the terminal based solution.

Wouldn't it make more sense to use the same repo on GitHub (instead of a fork)? That way Pull Requests and issues are also kept along with the project.

Thanks for volunteering Douglas!

Yoshiki.

Douglas Drumond

Mar 4, 2015, 10:24:31 PM3/4/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 10:27 PM, Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza <yosh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Wouldn't it make more sense to use the same repo on GitHub (instead of a fork)? That way Pull Requests and issues are also kept along with the project.

​I guess it would make sense to change it one more time: create an organization called macvim (or something related) and fork it there. Then when someone takes over macvim, it's just a matter of setting up permissions.​

Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza

Mar 4, 2015, 11:25:23 PM3/4/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Right, using an organization makes sense. Also note that in github repos are transferrable, so once this organization exists, the repo (from Björn's account) can be transferred there.

Thanks!

Yoshiki Vázquez-Baeza

---

Douglas Drumond

Mar 13, 2015, 8:54:27 PM3/13/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
It's now on an organization:

https://github.com/macvim-dev/macvim/

Unfortunately, macvim was already taken.

676c...@gmail.com

Mar 15, 2015, 7:30:59 PM3/15/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi Douglas,
I learnt the other day that GitHub has a 'name squatting policy'.

https://help.github.com/articles/name-squatting-policy/

The 'MacVim' account on GitHub seems inactive, so perhaps there's still
a chance to get it.

Best,

--
David

Douglas Drumond

Mar 15, 2015, 7:54:42 PM3/15/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com

> I learnt the other day that GitHub has a 'name squatting policy'.
>
> https://help.github.com/articles/name-squatting-policy/
>
> The 'MacVim' account on GitHub seems inactive, so perhaps there's still
> a chance to get it.

Thank you for letting me know, I submitted a request. Let's see if we can get the name.

René Köcher

Mar 16, 2015, 4:49:34 AM3/16/15
to Douglas Drumond, Mac Vim

Speaking of the Github organization,

is there any way for devs willing to help out on the maintenance / bug squashing to join?

Regards,

René

Douglas Drumond

Mar 16, 2015, 5:14:28 AM3/16/15
to René Köcher, Mac Vim
On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 5:49 AM, René Köcher <sh...@bitspin.org> wrote:

is there any way for devs willing to help out on the maintenance / bug squashing to join?

​Sure, just submit a pull request. Any help is welcomed. There's a list of bugs on code.google.com/p/macvim that I need to move to GitHub (since Google Code is shutting down), but I didn't have time for that yet.
​Regards,​

Keyan

Mar 16, 2015, 5:41:46 PM3/16/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for your effort! I use MacVim since I moved to Mac in 2008.

Charles

Mar 25, 2015, 7:30:46 PM3/25/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
I appreciate @douglasdrumond's heroic effort to catch us up many patchlevels.

However, it would be best if we never got behind to such a degree that it
requires a heroic effort to catch up.

Here were are, already more than 60 patches behind. That's a LOT, even
for MacVim (even though it's less than in recent months).

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that there be more frequent *snapshots*.
I don't use snapshots, I build from source whenever it's updated.

I don't know any C, or anything about Vim's code, but if there's a way I
can help keep on top of things, please let me know. Perhaps if there's a
section on the wiki that explains which sections of the code are free of
Vim/MacVim conflict, I and others could make github PRs for most Vim
patches. Or perhaps @douglasdrumond can post the workflow involved in
doing this.

-Charles

Andrew Stewart

Mar 26, 2015, 5:15:25 AM3/26/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On 26 Mar 2015, at 00:30, "Charles" <mv...@forallx.net> wrote:
> I don't know any C, or anything about Vim's code, but if there's a way I
> can help keep on top of things, please let me know. Perhaps if there's a
> section on the wiki that explains which sections of the code are free of
> Vim/MacVim conflict, I and others could make github PRs for most Vim
> patches. Or perhaps @douglasdrumond can post the workflow involved in
> doing this.

I also don't know anything about C or Vim's code but a few months ago I figured out how to update MacVim's patchlevel. Here are the raw notes I made at the time:

----8<----

[1] b4winckler/macvim - 7.4.383
[2] b4winckler/vim - 7.4.430
[3] vim - 7.4.542

we want to bring [1] up to date with [3].

ideally we'd merge [3] directly into [1] but i can't see how to do that without losing macvim-specific stuff.
instead:
A: diff [2] and [1] and apply to [1]
B: diff [3] and [2] and apply to [1']

## Clone vim's repo [3] as a git repo

we don't do this the way recommended on b4winckler/vim/wiki (using mercurial and the hg-git mercurial extension).
instead we use git with the "semi-official" git-remote-hg remote helper.

Install git-remote-hg as per instructions (https://github.com/felipec/git-remote-hg)
$ git clone hg::https://code.google.com/p/vim/
$ git gc --aggressive
$ git remote add github https://github.com/airblade/vim.git (new, empty repo)
$ git push github master

## Clone macvim's repo [1] and add [2] and [3] as remotes

$ git clone https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim.git
$ cd macvim
$ git remote add b4winckler-vim https://github.com/b4winckler/vim.git
$ git remote add airblade-vim https://github.com/airblade/vim.git
$ git fetch

## A

method 1 (this method squashes all the individual commits together)

$ git diff HEAD...b4winckler-vim/master > a.diff
$ git apply --reject a.diff

mostly applies but a few rejects (mostly perl stuff - see 7.4.409)

$ find . -name '*.rej' -print
./runtime/doc/tags.rej
./src/auto/configure.rej
./src/config.mk.in.rej
./src/configure.in.rej
./src/Makefile.rej
./src/option.c.rej
./src/structs.h.rej

fix up by hand, remove the *.rej files, then generate a new clean diff

$ git add -A
$ git diff --staged > a-clean.diff
$ git commit -m "Patchlevel 430"

method 2 (probably better)

$ git merge b4winckler-vim/master

a few merge conflicts (mostly perl stuff)
for each conflicted file:
fix conflict
git add the fixed file
when all conflicts fixed, finish merge with

$ git commit

generate patch with

$ git diff HEAD^ > a-clean.diff

## B

method 1 (this method squashes all the individual commits together)

$ git diff b4winckler-vim/master...airblade-vim/master > b.diff
$ git apply --reject b.diff

mostly applies but a few rejects

$ find . -name '*.rej' -print
./runtime/doc/tags.rej
./src/ex_cmds.h.rej
./src/if_ruby.c.rej
./src/misc2.c.rej
./src/vim.h.rej

fix up by hand, remove the *.rej files, then generate a new clean diff

$ git add -A
$ git diff --staged > b-clean.diff
$ git commit -m "Patchlevel 542"

method 2 (probably better)

[i can't figure out how to make this work without losing all the macvim-specific stuff]

$ git co -b foo b4winckler-vim/master
$ git merge airblade-vim/master

leads to 150 add-add merge conflicts...i don't understand why

## Upload {a,b}-clean.diff somewhere and `brew edit macvim` adding

head do
patch do
url 'file:///Users/andy/code/buildingvim/a-clean.diff'
sha1 '2086b634bb7a2d3c5a079830e66d50184a1c7eb3'
end
patch do
url 'file:///Users/andy/code/buildingvim/b-clean.diff'
sha1 '8c696f81903ed910db637fd30a25dea00b95438f'
end
end

i also had to remove `--enable-perlinterp` from compile args around line 55
presumably i messed up the perl stuff when cleaning the rejected patches

## voila

$ brew uninstall macvim
$ brew intall macvim --custom-icons --HEAD
$ brew linkapps

## When vim is updated

we could do B all over again but it takes a while to fix the rejected patches
(either automate this or) better to diff B and let's call it C

$ cd /path/to/vim-clone
$ git pull
$ git push github master
[erm]
$ git diff e62677eac > c.diff
$ cd /path/to/macvim-clone
$ git apply --reject /path/to/c.diff
etc

----8<----

I'd like to hear of better ways to do this! Or even see MacVim merged into main Vim as someone else suggested.

Yours,
Andy Stewart

Douglas Drumond

Mar 27, 2015, 5:35:37 AM3/27/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Since Vim is moving to GitHub [1], I'll update my workflow and publish guides for anyone willing to help join the effort. It's not good to depend on just one person, for instance, this month I worked a lot overtime, so MacVim is several patches behind. If we divide efforts, we can also look into improving the Mac side of MacVim instead of just keeping up with Vim. Let's see if I can get something this weekend (still a little bit tough, lot of things to finish before April).

[1] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/vim_dev/Io5A_Zir--k/discussion

Shirk

Dec 13, 2015, 8:56:30 AM12/13/15
to vim_mac
Sorry for reviving this thread but I'm curious about how to join the Github organization?
Since I'm more or less responsible for the current ligature support in the CT renderer it would be nice to join ;)

Kazuki Sakamoto

Dec 13, 2015, 11:12:04 AM12/13/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hey Shirk, there are no particular ways to join MacVim organization.
But I'll add you to the organization if you are actively enough to
maintain MacVim (sending pull requests, reviewing pull requests,
answering questions, etc).

On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 5:56 AM, Shirk <shi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry for reviving this thread but I'm curious about how to join the Github organization?
> Since I'm more or less responsible for the current ligature support in the CT renderer it would be nice to join ;)
>
> --
> --
>
> ---

Shirk

Dec 13, 2015, 12:13:57 PM12/13/15
to vim_mac
On Sunday, December 13, 2015 at 5:12:04 PM UTC+1, sakamoto wrote:
> Hey Shirk, there are no particular ways to join MacVim organization.
> But I'll add you to the organization if you are actively enough to
> maintain MacVim (sending pull requests, reviewing pull requests,
> answering questions, etc).

OK, I keep looking over the issues / pr section and also working on further improving the ligatures support.