remove feature xterm-save

Christian Brabandt

Oct 7, 2015, 6:28:58 AM10/7/15
to vim...@vim.org
Bram,
I just found out, that the xterm-save feature needs to be enabled
specifically. But even after enabling it explicitly and do not see a
difference and switching screens has been working for me for a long
time.

It took me a while, to find out, this is only needed for the builtin
terminal definition, but even then, when setting term to builtin_xterm I
still get the default switching screen behaviour. I think, this happens,
because Vim does query the termcap database for ti and te entries and
gets the values there nevertheless.

To make a long story short, I think it is safe to remove that feature
completly, since Vim will be switching screens almost always anyhow.

Best,
Christian
--
Wer sagt, er verachte, fängt's kaum an und hasset noch.
-- Jean Paul

Tony Mechelynck

Oct 7, 2015, 10:52:35 AM10/7/15
to vim_dev
I have two versions of Huge Vim for console here: /usr/local/bin/vim
7.4.891 which I compiled myself after modifying feature.h to get
-tag_old_static and +xterm_save, and /usr/bin/vim 7.4.461 by openSUSE
which has the opposite settings. When run in konsole (where $TERM ==
'xterm'), ":set t_te? t_ti?" answers
t_te=^[[?1049l
t_ti=^[[?1049h
for the openSUSE vim, and
t_te=^[[2J^[[?47l^[8
t_ti=^[7^[[?47h
for mine (the letter which replaces h in 't_te' is a lowercase L, not
a bar). Both (when run in konsole) seem to restore the screen as it
was before starting Vim (I didn't test it for a long editing session)
and both have v:termresponse == '^[[>0;115;0c'
Both are compiled with ++builtin_terms and have 'ttybuiltin' set (set
by default and never changed).

Best regards,
Tony.

Bram Moolenaar

Oct 10, 2015, 2:50:30 PM10/10/15
to Christian Brabandt, vim...@vim.org

Christian Brabandt wrote:

> I just found out, that the xterm-save feature needs to be enabled
> specifically. But even after enabling it explicitly and do not see a
> difference and switching screens has been working for me for a long
> time.
>
> It took me a while, to find out, this is only needed for the builtin
> terminal definition, but even then, when setting term to builtin_xterm I
> still get the default switching screen behaviour. I think, this happens,
> because Vim does query the termcap database for ti and te entries and
> gets the values there nevertheless.
>
> To make a long story short, I think it is safe to remove that feature
> completly, since Vim will be switching screens almost always anyhow.

It's a bit weird to change behavior with a compile-time option.

I suppose your suggestion is to remove the option in a way that it's
always enabled.

--
Tips for aliens in New York: Land anywhere. Central Park, anywhere.
No one will care or indeed even notice.

Christian Brabandt

Oct 10, 2015, 5:11:14 PM10/10/15
to vim...@vim.org
On Sa, 10 Okt 2015, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> I suppose your suggestion is to remove the option in a way that it's
> always enabled.

Yes.

Best,
Christian