Issue 390 in vim: "[[2;2R" printed in buffer area on vim startup

v...@googlecode.com

Aug 2, 2015, 5:23:59 PM8/2/15
to vim...@vim.org
Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 390 by dbarn...@google.com: "[[2;2R" printed in buffer area on
vim startup
https://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=390

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. SSH into server running slowly (?)
2. Start vim with many plugins enabled (?)
3. Observe "[[2;2R" at the top of the buffer area (see screenshot).

I expect that part of the buffer area to be blank. Instead I see "[[2;2R"
junk that goes away if I refresh the terminal with ctrl-L.

vim 7.4.622 on Ubuntu Linux 14.04

This is very similar to #183 which was closed as not reproducible and was
speculated to be fixed by patch 7.4.207.

Attachments:
vim_garbage.png 37.5 KB

issue notifications to this address.

v...@googlecode.com

Aug 2, 2015, 5:24:58 PM8/2/15
to vim...@vim.org

Comment #1 on issue 390 by dbarn...@google.com: "[[2;2R" printed in buffer
Adding `set t_u7=` to the top of my vimrc as a workaround fixes it.

v...@googlecode.com

Aug 2, 2015, 5:26:38 PM8/2/15
to vim...@vim.org

Comment #2 on issue 390 by dbarn...@google.com: "[[2;2R" printed in buffer
Oh, and it's a transient issue not consistently reproducible. I think it
has something to do with my machine being slow and/or using vim over SSH,
but it repros in xterm, gnome-term, etc.

v...@googlecode.com

Aug 4, 2015, 8:05:24 AM8/4/15
to vim...@vim.org

Comment #3 on issue 390 by brammool...@gmail.com: "[[2;2R" printed in
You could try this: in src/term.c, change the length checks to one less:

if ((*T_CRV != NUL || *T_U7 != NUL)
&& ((tp[0] == ESC && len >= 2 && tp[1] == '[')
|| (tp[0] == CSI && len >= 1))
&& (VIM_ISDIGIT(*argp) || *argp == '>' || *argp == '?'))

Assuming that you only received ESC [ it would currently not check for a
match, it needs another character. Disadvantage: if you actually type ESC
[ the same would happen...

v...@googlecode.com

Aug 14, 2015, 1:43:17 PM8/14/15
to vim...@vim.org

Comment #4 on issue 390 by dbarn...@google.com: "[[2;2R" printed in buffer
FYI, I've been trying to repro so I can try the fix but haven't seen it
happen recently. Vim hasn't updated so I don't think it's actually fixed
itself. Still keeping an eye on it.

v...@googlecode.com

Aug 18, 2015, 9:36:38 AM8/18/15
to vim...@vim.org

Comment #5 on issue 390 by dbarn...@google.com: "[[2;2R" printed in buffer
I got it to repro again and changing the length checks like #3 above
doesn't seem to have helped.