[vim] enabling other text editors to run vim's engine (#402)

mkuts12

Aug 27, 2015, 8:12:08 AM8/27/15
to vim/vim

hey there,
There are many plugins for various text editors that try to imitate the awesomeness of vim. But, unfortunately fail miserably.
I would like them to run vim at the back and render the text themselves.

Please make it happen.

Best regards,
michael

Justin M. Keyes

Aug 27, 2015, 8:26:36 AM8/27/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com, reply+00b1d198899e7e7fef309af0c1b25a5685745f2...@reply.github.com, vim/vim

On Aug 27, 2015 8:12 AM, "mkuts12" <vim-dev...@256bit.org> wrote:

> hey there,
> There are many plugins for various text editors that try to imitate the awesomeness of vim. But, unfortunately fail miserably.
> I would like them to run vim at the back and render the text themselves.
>
> Please make it happen.

Neovim exists for that purpose.

mkuts12

Aug 27, 2015, 8:52:20 AM8/27/15
to vim/vim, vim-dev ML

Neovim is not quite vim.
Besides, I work in a place that forces us to use windows and I have to use text editors that work on windows.
Some plugins for gvim, and gvim itself don't work quite well.
I would like to use Atom or sublime as my UI, and vim for the editing and ex mode.
I want to use Vim and not an emulator of vim

Justin M. Keyes

Aug 27, 2015, 9:31:52 AM8/27/15
to reply+00b1d198db2fb99f8913a885ae9417cca2650c8...@reply.github.com, vim...@googlegroups.com, vim/vim, vim-dev ML

On Aug 27, 2015 08:52, "mkuts12" <vim-dev...@256bit.org> wrote:

> Neovim is not quite vim.
> Besides, I work in a place that forces us to use windows and I have to use text editors that work on windows.
> Some plugins for gvim, and gvim itself don't work quite well.
> I would like to use Atom or sublime as my UI, and vim for the editing and ex mode.
> I want to use Vim and not an emulator of vim

Ok. So what you are asking for is an effort similar to Neovim, but exactly like Vim, without any transition period. Got it ;)

mkuts12

Aug 27, 2015, 10:12:58 AM8/27/15
to vim/vim, vim-dev ML

I want to use Vim and not an emulator in whatever editor I like,
for example I don't want a vim-mode in atom, I want Vim!

Neovim is still in beta and does not work well in windows yet. Furthermore, there are no plugins for atom or sublime that work with Neovim.
Do you have a reasonable solution for my problem?

Ben Fritz

Aug 27, 2015, 10:50:49 PM8/27/15
to vim_dev, v...@noreply.github.com, vim-dev...@256bit.org, reply+00b1d198db2fb99f8913a885ae9417cca2650c8...@reply.github.com
On Thursday, August 27, 2015 at 7:52:20 AM UTC-5, mkuts12 wrote:

> Some plugins for gvim, and gvim itself don't work quite well.

What are you talking about? What plugins that work in Vim don't work in gvim? It's the exact same program!

And what do you mean gvim doesn't work well in Windows? gvim works great in Windows! Better than in some of its forms in Linux, even, where it depends on what GUI you compile with.