Vim (Windows) reproducibly hangs

"Sven Brüggemann"

Jul 5, 2017, 12:19:29 AM7/5/17
to vim...@vim.org
Vim 8.0, MS-Windows 32-Bit GUI OLE Patches 1-586 (latest Binary release)

Hello,

after upgrading from 8.0 to the latest binary release, my vim reproducibly hangs as soon as I open a file already opened in another vim in a new instance of vim. I was able to narrow down the cause to a single line in my _vimrc.

To reproduce:

- use a blank _vimrc with just "au GUIEnter * simalt ~x"
- gvim test.txt
- :w
- leave the instance open and start another vim: gvim test.txt
-> The second instance is opened and hangs (uses CPU and does not respond to keyboard or mouse input)

Kind regards

Sven

Sven Brueggemann

Jul 24, 2017, 7:26:55 AM7/24/17
to vim...@vim.org
Hello,

> Vim 8.0, MS-Windows 32-Bit GUI OLE Patches 1-586 (latest Binary release)
>
> after udating from 8.0 to the latest binary release, my vim reproducibly hangs
> as soon as I open a file already opened in another vim in a new
> instance of vim. I was able to narrow down the cause to a single line
> in my _vimrc.
> To reproduce:
>
> - use a blank _vimrc with just "au GUIEnter * simalt ~x"
> - gvim test.txt
> - :w
> - leave the instance open and start another vim: gvim test.txt
> -> The second instance is opened and freezes (uses CPU and does not respond
> to keyboard or mouse input)

Although I follow the mailing list for a while I'm still not familiar
with all the conventions here.

Where can I see if my report of a presumably buggy behaviour has been
acknowledged and maybe confirmed as a bug?

Kind regards

Sven

Bram Moolenaar

Jul 24, 2017, 5:06:02 PM7/24/17
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Sven Brueggemann, vim...@vim.org
Patch 8.0.0589 was supposed to fix this.

238. You think faxes are old-fashioned.

"Sven Brüggemann"

Jul 27, 2017, 3:41:01 AM7/27/17
to vim...@vim.org
Hello,

Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> > > Vim 8.0, MS-Windows 32-Bit GUI OLE Patches 1-586 (latest Binary release)
> > > after udating from 8.0 to the latest binary release, my vim reproducibly hangs
> > > as soon as I open a file already opened in another vim in a new
> > > instance of vim. I was able to narrow down the cause to a single line
> > > in my _vimrc.
> > > To reproduce:
> > >
> > > - use a blank _vimrc with just "au GUIEnter * simalt ~x"
> > > - gvim test.txt
> > > - :w
> > > - leave the instance open and start another vim: gvim test.txt
> > > -> The second instance is opened and freezes (uses CPU and does not respond
> > > to keyboard or mouse input)

> Patch 8.0.0589 was supposed to fix this.

I can still reproduce the freeze with 8.0.589 and 8.0.771 following the recipe above.

Kind regards

Sven

"Sven Brüggemann"

Jul 27, 2017, 3:41:01 AM7/27/17