Diff to silence noise from VS tools

Mike Williams

Feb 2, 2016, 7:07:09 AM2/2/16
to vim_dev
Hi,

Attached is a diff that suppresses the startup info from various Visual
Studio tools used to build VIM. They just add noise to the build log.

TTFN

Mike
--
I try to watch what I eat but my eyes aren't quick enough.
tools.diff

Bram Moolenaar

Feb 2, 2016, 12:51:22 PM2/2/16
to Mike Williams, vim_dev

Mike Williams wrote:

> Attached is a diff that suppresses the startup info from various Visual
> Studio tools used to build VIM. They just add noise to the build log.

Thanks!

107. When using your phone you forget that you don't have to use your
keyboard.

Kenny Wong

Feb 10, 2016, 2:43:09 PM2/10/16
to vim_dev, mike.w...@globalgraphics.com
Hi,

After applying patch 7.4.1240, I cannot build using Visual Studio 2005 because its rc.exe version does not support the /nologo option, e.g.

C:\>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin\rc.exe" /nologo
fatal error RC1106: invalid option: -ologo

Regards,
Kenny

Bram Moolenaar

Feb 10, 2016, 5:16:39 PM2/10/16
to Kenny Wong, vim_dev, mike.w...@globalgraphics.com

Kenny Wong wrote:

> After applying patch 7.4.1240, I cannot build using Visual Studio 2005 because its rc.exe version does not support the /nologo option, e.g.
>
> C:\>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin\rc.exe" /nologo
> fatal error RC1106: invalid option: -ologo

I thought I was using an ancient compiler, but this is even older.
Any reason why you can't use the 2008 or 2010 version? I have heard
several people say the 2010 version still builds for old systems (XP and
up).

219. Your spouse has his or her lawyer deliver the divorce papers...
via e-mail.

Mike Williams

Feb 15, 2016, 4:48:05 AM2/15/16
to Bram Moolenaar, Kenny Wong, vim_dev
On 10/02/2016 22:16, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Kenny Wong wrote:
>
>> After applying patch 7.4.1240, I cannot build using Visual Studio 2005 because its rc.exe version does not support the /nologo option, e.g.
>>
>> C:\>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin\rc.exe" /nologo
>> fatal error RC1106: invalid option: -ologo
>
> I thought I was using an ancient compiler, but this is even older.
> Any reason why you can't use the 2008 or 2010 version? I have heard
> several people say the 2010 version still builds for old systems (XP and
> up).

rc.exe in VS2005 was a bit rogue. rc in the previous release only
showed the logo when the /verbose flag was used. In VS2005 rc was
"fixed" to show the logo by default, but didn't get a /nologo to turn it
off again - this was added in the following release.

If changing the version of VS being used is not possible then I guess
the /nologo for rc.exe should be removed and a comment put in noting
that we are stuck with having it appear.

HTH - TTFN

Mike
--
This is certainly more fun than being hit with a hammer.