Why are there zh_CN.po and zh_CN.UTF-8.po at the same time?

lilydjwg

May 28, 2017, 4:10:22 AM5/28/17
to vim_dev
Hi there, I'm trying to update the zh_CN translation, but I'm confused.
The only difference between zh_CN.po and zh_CN.UTF-8.po seems to be
the text encoding. Shouldn't one of them be generated like
zh_CN.cp936.po then?

Also, how should I update the po files? I tried "make update-po" but
it introduces some differences:

* Fuzzy translations are not commented (surely I'm going to edit all of
them, but is this normal?)
* A comment about where the msgid occurs is added for every entry. (It's
helpful, but will generate big diffs. Should I remove these?)

--
Best regards,
lilydjwg

Bram Moolenaar

May 28, 2017, 11:19:36 AM5/28/17
to vim...@googlegroups.com, lilydjwg, vim_dev

lilydjwg wrote:

> Hi there, I'm trying to update the zh_CN translation, but I'm confused.
> The only difference between zh_CN.po and zh_CN.UTF-8.po seems to be
> the text encoding. Shouldn't one of them be generated like
> zh_CN.cp936.po then?

Not sure why there is no conversion setup in the makefile in src/po.
Perhaps you can try to do that. I recall there were some conversion
errors.

> Also, how should I update the po files? I tried "make update-po" but
> it introduces some differences:
>
> * Fuzzy translations are not commented (surely I'm going to edit all of
> them, but is this normal?)
> * A comment about where the msgid occurs is added for every entry. (It's
> helpful, but will generate big diffs. Should I remove these?)

I haven't done this myself recently. I hope someone else can give some
hints, it's probably a matter of adding some flags.

--
This computer is so slow, it takes forever to execute and endless loop!