[patch] sometimes 'make clean' executes ./configure unexpectedly

Ken Takata

Mar 25, 2014, 7:48:25 AM3/25/14
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Sometimes ./configure is executed unexpectedly, when running 'make clean'
or 'make distclean'.

E.g.:

1. Do 'hg clone' to get the latest source codes.
2. Do 'make config && make'.
3. A few days later, do 'hg pull -u' to get the updated codes
which include updated src/auto/configure. (To simulate this, just do
'touch src/auto/configure'.)
4. Do 'make clean' or 'make distclean', ./configure will be executed.

I wrote a patch to fix this behavior.
This patch might be useful only for GNU make, but I suppose this is safe
for other make utilities.

Related discussion:
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/vim_dev/L7-eXk0Slds/discussion
(already merged with 7.3.1221)

Best regards,
Ken Takata

fix-make-clean.patch

Bram Moolenaar

Mar 25, 2014, 10:35:23 AM3/25/14
to Ken Takata, vim...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, that has been an annoying problem for a long time.

--
FIRST VILLAGER: We have found a witch. May we burn her?