E763: Word characters differ between spell files

glts

Nov 22, 2012, 10:15:36 AM11/22/12
to vim...@googlegroups.com
(I posted this in vim_use a week ago but got no response. Trying again
here, I would be thankful if anybody can try to reproduce this.)

Hello list

I am trying to use two spelling languages at the same time:

:set spelllang=en_gb,de_ch
:set spell

Since the de_ch spelllang isn't included by default, Vim downloads and
installs it automatically at ~/.vim/spell/de.utf-8.spl (also the
suggestions file at ~/.vim/spell/de.utf-8.sug).

Spell-checking does work fine for both languages, however, every time I
enable spell-checking I get

E763: Word characters differ between spell files

The help suggests doing :mkspell on the word lists but these are not
included with Vim. Can you help me fix this? I'm running Vim 7.3.429 on
Ubuntu 12.04.

Thank you, glts

Bram Moolenaar

Nov 22, 2012, 4:18:38 PM11/22/12
to glts, vim...@googlegroups.com
Try replacing the en_gb spell file that you installed long ago with one
downloaded from the server now. The files on the site have been
updated some time ago to fix a mistake.

Unfortunately there is no "update runtime files" command yet.

--
Q: What is a patch 22?
A: A patch you need to include to make it possible to include patches.

glts

Nov 22, 2012, 5:33:04 PM11/22/12
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, November 22, 2012 10:18:42 PM UTC+1, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> Try replacing the en_gb spell file that you installed long ago with
> one downloaded from the server now. The files on the site have been
> updated some time ago to fix a mistake.

I was using the "vim-gnome" package on Linux Ubuntu 12.04; I didn't
think of updating the runtime files first.
Anyway, that did it, problem solved, thank you, Bram!

Alexey

Jan 26, 2013, 5:58:53 AM1/26/13
to vim...@googlegroups.com
I had this error in terminal vim, while MacVim.app was fine.

I fixed it by copying some English spell files from MacVim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/runtime/spell to ~/.vim/spell

I decided to post this solution because it worked for me, while i could not try Bram's suggestion because i am not familiar enough with Vim resources (which server? which file to replace? i did not seem to have any English spell files in ~/.vim/spell).