VT RACHEL

wgibbons52

May 4, 2015, 12:31:45 AM5/4/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Ok I am doing something wrong.

My brain is old and I know I am doing something clearly silly but what?

I have mp02 flashed with http://download.villagetelco.org/firmware/secn/unstable/mp02/SECN-3/SECN-3.0-RACHEL/openwrt-SECN-3_0-RACHEL-RC2a-MP02-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin and VT_Racel.zip unpacked and loaded on 32gig  usb stick named vt_rachel and rachel content in the modues dir and local content in Local directory.

I can see and connect to wlan and all good.

I cannot access anything except for via typing in the host address 10.130.1.254 where I get the Rachel menu and can access things.

If I type 10.130.1.254/admin I can get secn admin. Under WAN it says it sees the usb (modem) and default is http:// for that device as a modem.

I cannot access via //vt_rachel. or /rachel

Clearly the MP02 knows the usb is there and clearly the content is there how can I set up a more friendly access from browser rather than the Ip add?

I also note the Mesh and VOIP Asterisk are still in the config. Will they work as well?

Gibbo

T Gillett

May 4, 2015, 12:57:19 AM5/4/15
to village-telco-dev
Hi Gibbo

Old is good!

If you have attached to the device using DHCP, you should be able to use the URL:

   http://vtrachel

That should give you the RACHEL menu page.

Let me know how that goes.

What browser are you using?
Beware of cached settings in the browser. Helps to clear the cache.

Regards
Terry

wayne optus

May 4, 2015, 3:59:21 AM5/4/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com

Nope I cleared cache even tried Firefox as well as Explorer and Chrome. It’s kind of like the DNS service is not working in the Router

EG:  This works but it will not resolve http://vtrachel

http://10.130.1.254/rachel/modules/khan_academy/index.html

Works and I see usb Rachel content.

HMMMMN.

Gibbo

T Gillett

May 4, 2015, 4:58:50 AM5/4/15
to village-telco-dev

Wayne

When you connect to the wifi, what is the SSID and password?

When your client device connects what IP address is assigned and what DNS and Gateway / Default route IPs are assigned?

Terry

T Gillett

May 4, 2015, 5:00:08 AM5/4/15
to village-telco-dev

And when you are connected can you ping "vtrachel"?

wayne optus

May 4, 2015, 5:30:44 AM5/4/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com

Answers : Ssid VT-RACHEL-1

Password = password

Assigned ip address = 10.130.1.135

Default gateway = 10.130.1.254

Oddly the dns still says my ISP dns servers. I change to 10.130.1.254 and presto it all works.

Something in my setup is pre assigning my ISP DNS servers.  I will have to go through my system and work that out.

Unless I direct the dns specifically it defaults to my ISP settings. Weird. That means any time I wirelessly connect away from home I am still using my OLD ISP dns.

Thanks for the hint. All good if I have defaults right.

T Gillett

May 4, 2015, 7:21:51 AM5/4/15
to village-telco-dev

Curious.

What DNS addresses are showing in the DHCP section of the SECN Advanced page.

You can get to the SECN screens at 'vtrachel/secn'

T Gillett

May 4, 2015, 5:35:53 PM5/4/15
to village-telco-dev

Wayne

Just a thought...

It seems that your client device is getting its DNS IP address at least assigned by the DHCP server on your main LAN, rather than from the DHCP server in the VT-RACHEL MP2.

This suggests that the VT-RACHEL MP2 is not working correctly as a router with NAT between LAN and WAN sides.

I assume you have the VT-RACHEL MP2 connected to your primary LAN via Ethernet cable using the WAN port on the MP2 for upstream access.

Is that correct?

If so...

What is the IP address range in use on your primary LAN  ie what IP address is assigned to the WAN side of the VT-RACHEL MP2?

Specifically, are you using a different subnet address range on the WAN side of the VT-RACHEL MP2 and the LAN side (which will be 10.130.1.x by default).

Regards

Terry

wayne optus

May 4, 2015, 10:01:54 PM5/4/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com

Ok so now that I do not feel like a complete old fool and have, with help, worked out “what” ….I need to understand “why” and fix systemically my own P.C set up. This could explain my onging issues with slow DNS responses when on different nets …ie: it is trying to use the same DNS servers regardless of what net I am on. It would probably be ok if 8.8.8.8. but not my isp’s.

The DNS under DHCP seems is the default gateway as I would expect 10.130.1.254. There is a gremlin in my P.C somewhere plugging in my two ISP DNS in the DNS section of the Windows config even though the settings are auto detect for both IP addy and DNS. An app…. When I set the DNS 10.130.1.254 manually under windows, Rachel works. Also access from my Android phone and other devices works fine.

I note that if I unplug the usb without powering off the MP then plug back in it locks up. That should not be an issue unless you have multiple USB’s with different content ….all you need to do is boot the mp each time you want to change USB’s.

Apart from that I think the fastest usb possible is a good idea if distributing video content to a few devices.

Now can we put a usb hub in and plug in multiple storage devices incl’ HD’s?  One would need the required files in its root directory.

Now to fathom how to tailor content. It looks to me that the Modules are simply web site images with everything necessary. (not unlike wildernets) That means the root (USB) index.html …web page would need editing for new web sites. The Local directory can hold anything and acts like a storage server. It works ok for full movies and of course my credence clear water revival music……:) The critical factor is the browser on the accessing device having all the right plug ins for content there. Eg: VLC, PDF, etc.

Would wildernets with the same content do the same job?

I really like it. The educational content is impressive and it is like every house with kids should have it as a study aid  (without the internet connection and minecraft, etc).

AH ….internet without advertising, porn, news or opinionated social media bullying……..

In the olden days ppl would have a book case, parents would pay $1000’s for Encyclopedia Brittania and then year book updates and kids would use for homework (maybe). MP02 with Rachel replaces that for $50 and can be updated any time under some control. The problem is that with smart devices it seems all kids of all ages want to use them for is either social media or minecraft.

Would you believe it….My wife is reading the books from her Tablet now I have set it up and my IT graduate son is looking at ways to improve the content presentation.

wayne optus

May 4, 2015, 10:17:36 PM5/4/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com

No terry the MP is completely isolated when this happens so it is something in my P.C doing it. May be an app that is trying to optimise internet speed ????? I suspect it is dropping the ISP DNS into windows and tweaking settings thinking it knows better and that I will always be using the same internet connection and not different ones. You know turns off sharing and printing and etc to try to give the impression of speed. I am on the scent….When I do plug the MP into the home router all works fine btw it is only my P.C. Other devices are fine.  Rest of the family are using OK.

Cheers.

Keith Williamson

May 4, 2015, 10:40:30 PM5/4/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wayne,

The new version of Wildernets supports Rachel directly. As new content modules become available from Rachel, they can be added directly to the USB drive since Wildernets supports PHP. That said, I haven't released the new version yet as I am still finishing up a host of new features.

Stay tuned.

Cheers!

Keith

wayne optus

May 4, 2015, 11:23:24 PM5/4/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com

How did I guess that might be the case? Thanks this is fantastic.

So should I use wildernets or what firmware. It would seem nice to simplify and have one stream of development in my mind.

Question: Would it be possible to secure the USB content such that ordinarily internet access would flow and such but for example Parents could subscribe to USB Updates that contained credited educational content.

EG: The school updating USB sticks fry je term/year. The school the student attends could load curriculum content directly relevant to that students level and study and issue to parents to plug in. If kids are sick or absent they can still access content relevant and study material would be consistent and updated by people directly involved in the Education chain. In Australia that might be value for the school of the air.

T Gillett

May 5, 2015, 4:31:11 AM5/5/15
to village-telco-dev
Wayne

Glad you have worked it out (mostly anyway).

A few general comments about the use of VT-RACHEL firmware.

Memory Devices
A note of caution:
The MP2, in common with some other SoC based routers, is problematic with large USB memory devices due to the fact that the USB data lines are unbuffered. USB memory devices larger than 8GB are quite likely to disconnect after a period of operation. The best way to detect this is to look at the dmesg output after some hours of operation to see if there are any USB disconnect messages.

The problem is dependent on the particular USB device, with the small, micro devices apparently being worst.
SD cards used in a USB adapter are better in this respect, and faster, but there is still a dependency on the USB adapter.
Using a good quality USB hub, even un-powered, can solve the problem as the data lines are buffered in the hub.
VT-RACHEL firmware will work fine with a USB hub, as long as the memory device is in the first slot so it can be detected.

As an aside, the design of the new MP2 AWD includes a USB hub and SD card slot on board.

RACHEL Content and Functionality
The current version of the VT-RACHEL firmware is intended to simply serve static content in a classroom situation.
You can use a standard RACHEL distribution SD card, or the VT variant which allows you to customise the content.
Wayne: You are correct in observing that the 'modules' directory contains a collection of directories containing simple static content, with index.html pages used for navigation. The top level index.html is set out in a modular fashion and is easily customised.

In addition to simple static content, the RACHEL content is intended to be used with a WAMP or LAMP stack on a Windows machine or on a RPi device.
This is used for a variety of functions including:
- To support the Search function whereby you can do word searches across the content.
- To support the KA Lite learning management system which maintains a database of student test results and progress.
- To support Kiwix in order to render general Wikipedia content.

Supporting the these functions is a major step up from just supporting static content.
Clearly this functionality is not going to happen on a simple router.

However, as Keith has alluded to, the MP2 can readily support PHP, which allows for the use of somewhat more advanced content. This will be included in a future version of the VT-RACHEL firmware, as Keith has already done in Wildernets firmware.
Note however that there is no content in the current standard RACHEL library that requires PHP to view.

Performance
The current VT-RACHEL firmware is primarily intended to serve content in a classroom situation with 20-30 students.
It is capable of doing this surprisingly well. It is quite possible to have all the students watching Khan Academy videos simultaneously, or surfing around WikiPedia for Schools with sub second response times.
This is due to some careful crafting of the content, and a fair dose of serendipity. Content is simply retrieved from memory and delivered to the requesting client via wifi at 54Mbps or better, which is about an order of magnitude faster than an ADSL service can retrieve content from your own ISP, let alone across the net. And content may be buffered in RAM so repeat requests can be very fast.

Once you move up the scale and do any amount of server side processing, you start to use up the modest CPU resources of the device, and all bets are off regarding performance.

The RACHEL project team have found that the RPi does not perform adequately to support the LAMP stack and are moving to a multi-core Intel platform which will cost several hundred dollars.

The VT-RACHEL firmware is not intended to serve the same purpose as the general RACHEL server, and this needs to be kept in mind when choosing a platform for a particular situation.

The VT-RACHEL firmware is also available for use on some of the popular TP Link platforms, including the WDR3600/4300 devices which offer dual band operation and more RAM.

Regards
Terry

wayne optus

May 5, 2015, 4:50:29 AM5/5/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, Rationalism over enthusiasm and that is ok. I have a wdr4300 dual and it works well. My son just reminded me of IT 101 and what was my “user case”…. I am simply floating ideas.

Thanks all is good and working. Thanks again for all your support.

wayne optus

May 8, 2015, 4:53:14 AM5/8/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com

This is off topic but there is a new higher power dual Router here that might be suitable for longer distances 1.5km claimed if adaptable.  AF-2209N. sal...@afoundry.com.cn.

Gibbo

May 8, 2015, 5:18:35 AM5/8/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com

The say it will run openwrt and is about $25 unit in quantities.

Gibbo