Mesh with Bullet and PC as nodes

Thalles Rigobello

Feb 24, 2016, 8:10:31 AM2/24/16
to Village Telco Development Community
Hi everyone. Does anybody have already set up a mesh with bullet M2 running SECN firmware and PC running Batman-adv?

I'm trying to set this up but not got any results.
On PC I set a bat0 interface as follow. On bullet I have it configured as the image.

modprobe batman-adv
batctl if add enp6s0
batctl if
service NetworkManager stop
ip link set up dev enp6s0
ip link set mtu 1532 dev wlp7s0
iwconfig wlp7s0 mode ad-hoc essid vt-mesh ap any channel 1
batctl if add wlp7s0
ip link set up dev wlp7s0
ip link set up dev bat0
ip addr add 10.10.1.20 dev bat0
sudo service NetworkManager start

when I set another PC the nodes appear on batctl -o w but no bullet. Same happens with the bullets.

T Gillett

Feb 24, 2016, 2:58:54 PM2/24/16
to village-telco-dev

To clarify, you have PCs that mesh ok and same for Bullets - correct?

I see you have made SSID the same for PC (vt-mesh) but what about BSSID?

On the SECN status screen can you see any of the PC nodes appearing?

Thalles Rigobello

Feb 24, 2016, 3:53:21 PM2/24/16
to Village Telco Development Community
That's correct, I've got a mesh with only bullets and also a mesh only with PC's.

Neither on SECN status screen nor  "batctl -o w" the two meshs seems to become only one as I desire.

I've searched many ways to set BSSID on bat0 interface without sucess. I've tryed a mesh with bullets with diferents BSSID's and they work as same as with equal BSSID.

T Gillett

Feb 24, 2016, 4:03:46 PM2/24/16
to village-telco-dev

What are the versions of batman-adv shown in batctl o for both PC and bullet?

T Gillett

Feb 24, 2016, 5:34:34 PM2/24/16
to village-telco-dev
I understood that the BSSID had to be the same for nodes on a mesh.
In SECN OpenWrt devices it is set in the wireless config file on the ad-hoc interface as below:

config wifi-iface 'ah_0'
        option device 'radio0'
        option ifname 'wlan0-1'
        option network 'mesh_0'
        option encryption 'none'
        option bssid '02:CA:FF:EE:BA:BE'                ****************************
        option ssid 'vt-mesh'
        option disabled '0'
        option mode 'adhoc'
        option hidden '0'

It shows up in the iwconfig output as follows:

root@MP2-47:/# iwconfig
bat0      no wireless extensions.

lo        no wireless extensions.
teql0     no wireless extensions.
eth1      no wireless extensions.
wlan0-1   IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"vt-mesh"
          Mode:Ad-Hoc  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Cell: 02:CA:FF:EE:BA:BE      ********************
          Tx-Power=17 dBm
          RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  Mode:Master  Tx-Power=17 dBm
          RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
eth0      no wireless extensions.
br-lan    no wireless extensions.

Not sure how you set BSSID for the ad-hoc interface on the PC.

Have you tested the Bullets with BSSID set differently and they still mesh correctly?
Does not sound quite right???

I wonder also if the adhoc interface on the PC wifi card is in some other way incompatible with that on the Bullet.
Can you test for simple ad-hoc compatibility?

Wayne Abroue

Feb 25, 2016, 4:15:13 AM2/25/16
to village-telco-dev
Just another thing, I notice you are setting up IP addresses etc on the Bat interface, this is not necessary,
Do all your ad hoc settings on the wireless interface of the PC's,,, Then bridge with BAt interface.

T Gillett

Feb 25, 2016, 4:44:27 AM2/25/16
to village-telco-dev
Hi Wayne
Its a good point.
The IP address on the mesh interface is not strictly required for normal operation.
I have left it in place in the SECN firmware because it is useful for testing and setting up.
Terry