Providing rapid communication services

Pascal Laurent

Oct 15, 2016, 2:17:06 PM10/15/16
to village-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

The hurricane that devastated the south part of Haiti the last two weeks got me thinking. During that time there was no way to cummunicate with the people on that part of the island. I'm working on a communication system for rapid deployment in the aftwemath of a disaster ( based exclusively on villagetelco). The objective is to bring the system online within hours after the disaster. I would like the system to provide both Internet and phone services. The internet access could be use to feed the social websites (Facebook, Twitter) with updated  information. The syem will be community driven. It should be affordable. Is anyone of you already working on such a system and would like to share your work? What would you recommend in turn of off-the-shelves hardware that? Any idea is welcome.

Thank you,
Tipizo

T Gillett

Oct 15, 2016, 4:29:05 PM10/15/16
to village-telco-dev

Hi Tipizo

Obviously the SECN firmware will provide the basic facilities you mention including mesh network, telephony both analog and softphone, internet access and wifi access point.

The Wildernets firmware bundles this and more up into a package that might also be useful in this situation.

The firmware will run on MP02 and the MP02 AWD hardware (outdoor dual radio) version, as well as various devices from TP Link and Ubiquity.

Range is obviously an issue if you want to cover large areas and there is some TVWS work underway which should assist with this.

Regards
Terry