Problem with DNS forwarding

Carlos Rey-Moreno

Dec 11, 2014, 11:10:38 AM12/11/14
to village-telco-dev
Good afternoon,

I'm writing because I want to use the DHCP server in the MPs to froward the address of the Primary DNS. For some reason the DHCP server is providing the IP for the client and the IP of the gateway as specified in the web interface, but the the address of the primary DNS is not being forwarded at all, do you know why or what should I do? I'm using SECN 1.1 RC3 for MP01. I wonder whether it could a problem with the dhcp client as well.

By the way, what is the last stable version I could use in the MP01? I think we are going to go for a firmaware upgrade next week.

Thanks in advance,

carlos

--
Carlos Rey-Moreno
Research Assistant

T Gillett

Dec 11, 2014, 3:29:29 PM12/11/14
to village-telco-dev
Hi Carlos

The DHCP facility uses the dnsmasq package which is well documented here:

I don't have access to the SECN 1.1 code at present as I am travelling, but as I recall, the DNS server address handed out in that configuration was just the default, which is the same as the gateway address ie the address of the MP acting as DHCP server.

However in SECN 2, we provided fields which allow you to explicitly set two DNS server addresses to be handed out by the DHCP server.

The configuration is set up in the file /etc/config/dhcp and below is an extract of that used in SECN 2.0 GA01

The magic is done in the last line where the DHCP options are specified. In this example options 1 (netmask), 3 (gateway) and 6 (DNS server list) are set up.

You should be able to edit the config file in the MP01 to do something similar.

Regards
Terry

config dhcp 'lan'
option interface 'lan'
option leasetime '120m'
option start '200'
option limit '40'
option dhcp_option '1,255.255.255.0 3,10.130.1.254 6,8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4'

T Gillett

Dec 11, 2014, 3:49:38 PM12/11/14
to village-telco-dev
Hi Carlos

Re firmware for MP01 devices:

For SECN 1.1 there were RC4 and GA01 versions released after the RC3 version you are using.

If you want to stay with SECN 1.1 you should probably move to the GA01 version.

If you want to move to SECN 2.0, then it is currently at Alpha 3, but this has proven to be stable and we should be releasing it essentially unchanged as GA01 shortly.

Regards
Terry

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 2:10 AM, Carlos Rey-Moreno <carlos.r...@gmail.com> wrote:

Carlos Rey-Moreno

Dec 15, 2014, 2:00:52 AM12/15/14
to village-telco-dev
Hi Terry, thanks a lot for the answer!

On the DNS side, the problem was on my computer... for some reason you need to disable the dns=dnsmasq option in NetworkManager.conf in Ubuntu 12.04 for it to pick up the dns as well. Now it works.

I'll let you know about the upgrading, although it might have to wait until after the holidays, :-)

Best,

carlos