Re: Installation of SECN 3.0 GA2 on TP-Link routers.

T Gillett

Jan 26, 2016, 5:54:10 PM1/26/16
to Om Shree, village-telco-dev
Hello

We have not made a firmware for the WR941 device, but we have done so for the WR841 which is very popular.

We can look at making a new firmware for the WR941 if you wish to use it and will undertake the testing.

If you install the stable OpenWrt 14.07 BB firmware on a sample device and send me a tar file of the /etc/config directory, I will look into making a SECN firmware for it.

Check carefully which hardware version you have (2,3,4,6 are supported) and download the correct "factory" image, along with the checksum file:

    https://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier_breaker/14.07/ar71xx/generic/md5sums

One issue with these devices is that they only have 4MB of Flash memory, so are quite restricted in what you can install in addition to the basic OpenWrt.

They are limited to running SECN 3 based on OpenWrt BB because OpenWrt CC is too large to allow the mesh software modules to be installed.

You may do better to look at the WR842 device which has 8MB Flash memory, as well as USB support. This may provide you a better platform for your work for a similar price.

There are also other devices that you might like to consider including the MP02 (64MB RAM, 16MB Flash) and the WDR 3500/4300 (128MB RAM, 8MB Flash, 2.4 & 5GHz radios)

Regards
Terry

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 7:09 PM, Om Shree <shre...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Terry,
Compliments of the new year. Hope all is good on your side. Th reason behind this e-mail is that I needed some information on installing the SECN 3.0 GA2 firmware on TP-Link TL-WR941ND routers. Our departments is upgrading its small routers and bought the TP-link devices. What we would like to do is set up a mesh network and use the benefits of free internal calls and also use the network for student labs in the future. So we were wondering if the router is supported by the firmware?
Shree