conecting laptop to mesh

liz

Jun 6, 2014, 4:00:45 AM6/6/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
hi guys,

I have formed a mesh network and all my MPs can see and ping all its other neighbors; however, i seem to have a problem connecting my laptop to the mesh.

what could i be missing? please help.

Thanx in advance,
Nobaene

T Gillett

Jun 6, 2014, 4:50:18 AM6/6/14
to village-telco-dev
Hi Nobaene

Can you tell us the firmware version you are running on the MPs please?

You would not normally connect your PC to the mesh as such ie you don't connect to the mesh SSID (vt-mesh) unless you are also running batman-adv on your PC for some reason.

Assuming you are running SECN firmware, then you would normally attach your PC to one of the MPs either via Ethernet cable or WiFi.

Once your PC is connected to an MP, it will be able to connect to other devices attached to MPs.
The nodes on the mesh act as ports on a switch.

One thing to note is that for the PC to get an IP address assigned automatically when it connects to an MP, there has to be a DHCP server somewhere on the mesh.

It would be helpful if you could create a diagram of your network showing the MPs and their assigned IP addresses etc.

Regards
Terry

liz

Jun 9, 2014, 4:45:46 AM6/9/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
hello and thanx for replying Terry,

I have batman-adv installed on my laptop, I am using the SECN firmware and had enabled the dhcp server on one of the MPs. I can connect to the VT-SECN-AP but cannot access the internet.

also, the laptop cannot see any batman neighbors in range.

---

T Gillett

Jun 9, 2014, 6:44:54 AM6/9/14
to village-telco-dev
Hi Liz

I am not quite sure what you are trying to do.

If you just want to connect you laptop to one of the mesh nodes in order to be able to access the internet, then there is no need to have batman-adv running on the laptop.

But if you want your laptop to be part of the mesh, then you will need batman-adv running and correctly configured to mesh with the other nodes.

Perhaps you could outline just what you are setting out to achieve so we can understand better.

Assuming for the moment that at least the first step is just to connect the laptop via normal wifi to the Access Point on one of the nodes, then it seems that you have got this far.

But in order to access the Internet, you have to make sure that the Gateway (or Default Route)  setting on the laptop is also set to point to the correct device that is acting as the gateway. Similarly for DNS.

Could you give a description / diagram of the mesh network that you have set up, and identify which node has the Internet connection, and which node is running the DHCP server please?

Regards
Terry