TP-Link, OpenWrt, and the FCC

Steve Song

Feb 18, 2016, 3:14:39 PM2/18/16
to Village Telco Dev
Hi all,

Some of you may be aware of the move by the FCC to lock down firmware in the name of security.  This appears to be having an impact on large manufacturers like TP-Link.  This may or may be TP-Link's new policy but something to be aware of as this issue evolves.

Regards... Steve

Carlos Rey-Moreno

Feb 18, 2016, 3:55:18 PM2/18/16
to village-telco-dev
These are very bad news... although they may open a new space for the MPs

carlos

Carlos Rey-Moreno, PhD
Cel: +27 (0) 76 986 3633
Skype: carlos.reymoreno Twitter: Creym

Coenraad Loubser

Jun 1, 2016, 4:31:15 AM6/1/16
to village-...@googlegroups.com
It's all about how they end up dealing with it.

The douche vendors will just try to block FOSS. The more progressive ones will improve their hardware.

Now if only we could come up with a way to tangibly illustrate an effective strategy of better dealing with spectrum than regulation... I can envision something quite comprehensive and lively very impractical - but lets think about this quick -

There are 3 options/roads/doors:
1) Current - regulate and police, more from the production and legislation/policing side than the consumption side.

2) Some sort of central-database /TVWS solution, which still relies on "black-box" chips.

3) Develop and implement a regime of consumer-side regulation. Ie democratize regulation though an innovative, global platform - make it so anyone can become a spectrum policeman for a reward, and the reward is generated from license fees and spectrum costs. We certainly have the technology. I bet with a bit of funding I can get this going - there are foot-in-door opportunities right now. Many.

What do you guys think? Anyone keen to join me to work on Option 3? I have the building blocks, and the platform will be useful across industries, regimes and applications.

Regards

Coenraad Loubser

WISH Networks (Pty) Ltd.
2nd Floor, Merriman Place, Cnr. Merriman & Bird Str, Stellenbosch, 7600, ZA

Office: +27 87 805 7480
Skype: Coenraad_Loubser
Email: coen...@wish.org.za
Cell: +27 73 772 1223
Web: http://wish.org.za

-- Spending Money is like watering a plant.