New SECN Firmware

T Gillett

Nov 24, 2014, 9:25:58 PM11/24/14
to village-telco-dev
Hi All

We have been working on new SECN firmware to incorporate updates from OpenWrt and to introduce some new facilities.

We now have trial firmware available based on the Barrier Breaker release of OpenWrt (SECN 3.0 r43321) as well as updated Attitude Adjustment (SECN 2.0.1 r42647)

In addition we have produced *experimental* versions of the firmware (SECN Duo) to support USB based wifi devices in order to provide a second radio for MP02 and TP devices.
This allows the Adhoc mesh and the AP interfaces to be run on separate radios, and thus at operate at full bandwidth on separate channels.

The primary driver for this was to be able to provide a separate mesh backbone to connect the APs.
By using the USB wifi device, the mesh radio can be physically separated from MP/TP device by a metre or so of USB cable and so both can be positioned for best signal.

The AA based SECN 2.0.1 firmware supports Atheros AR9271 and Ralink RT5370 based USB devices using the kmod-ath9k-htc and kmod-usb-rt2800 wireless drivers respectively.

The BB based SECN 3.0 firmware only supports the Atheros devices due to a bug in the Ralink drivers in BB at this time.

Firmware will be available for download here:

MP02 SECN 2.0.1
  http://download.villagetelco.org/firmware/secn/unstable/mp02/SECN-2/SECN-2.0.1-Alpha3

MP02 SECN 2.0.1 Duo
  http://download.villagetelco.org/firmware/secn/unstable/mp02/SECN-2/SECN-2.0.1-Alpha3-Duo

TP SECN 2.0.1
  http://download.villagetelco.org/firmware/secn/unstable/tp-link/SECN-2/SECN-2.0.1-Alpha3

TP SECN 2.0.1 Duo
  http://download.villagetelco.org/firmware/secn/unstable/tp-link/SECN-2/SECN-2.0.1-Alpha3-Duo

UBNT-M SECN 3.0
  http://download.villagetelco.org/firmware/secn/unstable/ubiquity/SECN-3/

Please give the new firmware a try if you can and send in any feedback about its operation.

Regards
Terry