ipv6 on nanostation m2

Vusumzi Ndzengu

Jun 2, 2014, 9:21:41 AM6/2/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

couple of weeks ago i got the nanostation m2 and read some articles how to install third-party firmware like openwrt or secn. my intentions are to install openwrt or secn and batman-adv using using ipv6. i am working on a lab working under ipv4 network. i will be glad if there any guides to do the installations of firmware and batman-adv is a new bee i am scared of frying the routers.

Regards
Vusi

T Gillett

Jun 2, 2014, 6:15:19 PM6/2/14
to village-telco-dev
Hi Vusi

If you install the SECN firmware you will have a fully working OpenWrt AA 12.09 and batman-adv setup that will allow you to get started quickly and easily in an IPv4 environment.

From there you can develop your IPv6 networking.

The recommended procedure is to first install a standard OpenWrt  Attitude Adjustment 12.09 'factory' firmware image on the device.
** Note that this step requires care as recovery from a bad flash at this point is not simple **

Then install the SECN 'sysupgrade' firmware image using the firmware upgrade page in the LuCI web interface.
** Note that when you install the SECN firmware from the LuCI page, be sure to un-tick the 'Save Settings' checkbox, otherwise the SECN settings will not be installed correctly **

When you have the SECN firmware installed, you can revert to the standard OpenWrt firmware by installing the OpenWrt 'sysupgrade' image using the Firmware Upgrade page in the SECN web user interface.

OpenWrt information for the Ubiquity M devices is located here:

An alternative method for flashing the Ubiquity M devices is shown here:

The AA 12.09 firmware is located here:

The latest SECN firmware is located here:

Regards
Terry

Vusumzi Ndzengu

Jun 25, 2014, 8:34:34 AM6/25/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

I have followed your instructions and installed openwrt. now i want to flash SECN SYSUPGRADE. since the default ip adress is 10.130.120 should assign to my computer before  i do the syspugrade?

REgards
Vusi

On Monday, June 2, 2014 3:21:41 PM UTC+2, Vusumzi Ndzengu wrote:

Hi All

couple of weeks ago i got the nanostation m2 and read some articles how to install third-party firmware like openwrt or secn. my intentions are to install openwrt or secn and batman-adv using using ipv6. i am working on a lab working under ipv4 network. i will be glad if there any guides to do the installations of firmware and batman-adv is a new bee i am scared of frying the routers.

Regardss
Vusi

Vusumzi Ndzengu

Jun 25, 2014, 8:54:41 AM6/25/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
i telnet

Vusumzi Ndzengu

Jun 25, 2014, 8:59:46 AM6/25/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

i telnet 192.168.1.1.i got the welcoming village  telco now.

T Gillett

Jun 25, 2014, 6:11:06 PM6/25/14
to village-telco-dev

It sounds like you may have done the sysupgrade from OpenWrt and left the Save Settings box ticked because you have the old IP address still.

This means that most of the SECN facilities probably are not working.

You can restore easily by pointing your web browser at the device to get the SECN web interface.

Go to the Advanced page and click on the button at the bottom which says Restore Defaults.

Reboot and the device will come up on the default 20.130.1.20 IP address.

Vusumzi Ndzengu

Jun 26, 2014, 3:02:27 AM6/26/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tlg

since I telnet 192.168.1.1 and got to the welcome village Telco openwrt should I set the password now?

T Gillett

Jun 26, 2014, 3:25:48 AM6/26/14
to village-telco-dev
Vusi

Setting the password is just a security measure so that you have to enter the password (and 'root' user) in order to access the device from either the command line via ssh or via the web browser interface.

You can do this at any time, it will not affect any operation of the router other than getting access.

Once you set up the password, telnet will no longer be available and you will have to use ssh.

Similarly, the web interface will require you to enter the root/password credentials to get access.

I think the main thing you need to do is to Restore the device to default SECN settings as per my previous email, otherwise the SECN firmware will not operate correctly because the settings will be those from the OpenWrt firmware.

Once you click on the Restore Default settings button in the SECN web interface, the IP address will be set to the default of 10.130.1.20 and so you will need to connect to this address after rebooting the device.

You can then change the IP address to whatever you need.

Regards

Vusumzi Ndzengu

Jun 26, 2014, 3:53:59 AM6/26/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi tlg

I manually edited my ip address to 10.130.x.x and telnet 10.130.1.20 and set the passwd and everything is ok and I can access the web address now. I did everything right bt my mistake is that I forgot to change the ip address from the range of 192.168.1.1.

T Gillett

Jun 26, 2014, 5:54:26 AM6/26/14
to village-telco-dev

You may find that the mesh and other SECN facilities are not running correctly without doing the Reset Defaults.