MP2 on different Mesh:

Sylvester Chibamo

Dec 14, 2015, 9:25:52 AM12/14/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com, lets...@hexloctech.com

Hi

Please advice on this one, if I configure MP2  on different Mesh how do I get the 2 to talk to each other, e.g if I want to call MP2 on a different Mesh how do I go about the configurations.

The MP2 will be on a different channel,

Regards,

Sylvester

T Gillett

Dec 14, 2015, 4:51:55 PM12/14/15
to village-telco-dev

The MPs can be on different meshes and even different IP subnets and you can call between them using full IP dialing.

The abbreviated dialling using the last octet is just a shortcut used when they are on the same subnet.

See the User Guide for details of Full IP dialling.

Sylvester Chibamo

Dec 16, 2015, 4:23:34 AM12/16/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com, lets...@hexloctech.com

Hi

Please advice on this one, does this mean for this to work the MP2 should be on the same gateway?

I have removed one MP from the mesh and I am not able to call the ones on a mesh with full IP,

MP that is not on the mesh: IP 10.130.1.20

MP that is on the mesh:IP 10.130.1.3 &  10.130.1.4

Regards,

Sylvester

T Gillett

Dec 16, 2015, 4:27:25 AM12/16/15
to village-telco-dev

There needs to be a path to the destination. If you can ping the destination then you should be able to call.

Sylvester Chibamo

Dec 16, 2015, 4:30:42 AM12/16/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com

If they are not on the same mesh, 2 different stand alone devices MP wont ping each other & therefore IP calling should not work as they are not connected to each other. Is it?

Steve Song

Dec 16, 2015, 4:36:34 AM12/16/15
to Village Telco Dev
Hi Sylvester,

It is true that if the devices cannot ping each other, they cannot dial each other.  However, it is possible for two devices to be on separate meshes and to be able to ping each other.  If both meshes are connected to a single gateway router, then the devices should be able to ping each other.  When you say different meshes, does each mesh have a unique BSSID associated with it?

Perhaps it would help to draw a diagram?

Cheers... Steve

T Gillett

Dec 16, 2015, 4:43:07 AM12/16/15
to village-telco-dev

You must have network connectivity (at least) between the two MPs in order to make a call.

If you can't ping then you can't call.

Being on a different mesh does not preclude network connectivity. You just have to arrange the basic IP networking so the devices can see eavh other.

Sylvester Chibamo

Dec 16, 2015, 5:26:18 AM12/16/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com

That is fine… I just needed clarity on that and I have tested it.. it working fine.

Regards,

Sly

T Gillett

Dec 16, 2015, 6:10:45 AM12/16/15
to village-telco-dev

That is good news!!

Sylvester Chibamo

Jan 27, 2016, 7:36:11 AM1/27/16
to village-...@googlegroups.com, lets...@hexloctech.com, chinga...@gmail.com

Hi

Compliments of the new season…!!

I seem to be missing something here, please refer to the diagram below,

I want to be able to call extensions at TechnoTrends from the customer side.. either by full IP or by last Octet but I do not seem to be getting it correct,

The back Haul to the customer connects via Ari Grid Point to Point link, the MP2 at the customer connects to WAN port and NAT is enabled and internet is working fine.

The Air Grid on the Techno Trends side connects to the internet Gateway as shown on the diagram and they are not flushed.

Please advice.

image001.emz
image002.png
oledata.mso

T Gillett

Jan 27, 2016, 7:58:44 AM1/27/16
to village-telco-dev
Hi Sylvester

A couple of thiongs to look at:

1. DHCP
I notice from the diagram that you have three DHCP servers enabled on the network:
- MP2-10.130.1.7
- Nano-M2-10.130.1.252
- Netgear-192.168.1.1

This is likely to be causing problems with the softphone devices (at least) as they need to get an IP address in the same subnet as the softphone server Nan0-M2-10.130.1.252

So you need to take a look at that.

I expect that you would only need to have a single DHCP server running on the network, probably the one on the softphone server.

2. Network connectivity
You should check whether you have basic network connectivity between the MP2s that you are trying to make calls on..

If you log in to the command line on MP2-10.130.1.7 on the customer side, can you ping one of the MP2s on the TechnoTrends side,  for example MP2-10.130.1.4 ?

If so, can you make a call between these two MP2s in either direction?

Sylvester Chibamo

Jan 27, 2016, 9:05:52 AM1/27/16
to village-...@googlegroups.com, chinga...@gmail.com, lets...@hexloctech.com

Hi

1. DHCP

I notice from the diagram that you have three DHCP servers enabled on the network:

- MP2-10.130.1.7: DHCP is enabled as NAT is enabled on WAN port and could not get DHCP service from the Netgear, The WAN IP get allocated withing the range 192.168.1.X,The other side the AirGrid connect to the Netgear.if no DCHP I get no internet.

- Nano-M2-10.130.1.252: This is to issue the DHCP especially to smart phones, The WAN port connects to the Netgear for internet access, the WAN port get allocated IP withing range 192.168.1.X

- Netgear-192.168.1.1: This is the internet Gateway, it connects to the upstream and issues IPs via DHCP to user connecting wireless and via a cable.

This is likely to be causing problems with the softphone devices (at least) as they need to get an IP address in the same subnet as the softphone server Nan0-M2-10.130.1.252

So you need to take a look at that.

I expect that you would only need to have a single DHCP server running on the network, probably the one on the softphone server.

Will use one DHCP server if I do not use the WAN port, in this case for internet access I need to enable NAT and DHCP. If this can work with 1 DHCP server then its fine..

2. Network connectivity

You should check whether you have basic network connectivity between the MP2s that you are trying to make calls on..

If you log in to the command line on MP2-10.130.1.7 on the customer side, can you ping one of the MP2s on the TechnoTrends side,  for example MP2-10.130.1.4 ?

There is no basic connectivity and therefore I cant make calls.

Is my connectivity layout fine? E.g Radio connecting to the WAN port on the customer side?

image001.png

T Gillett

Jan 27, 2016, 4:36:08 PM1/27/16
to village-telco-dev
Hi Sylvester

The DHCP and WAN settings are causing the problem.

For a simple MP2 network that allows abbreviated dialling, you need to have all the MP2 devices in a single LAN address space.

I suggest that you set it up this way at least initially to get it all working, then if you have additional requirements we can look at how to deal with them.

This means disabling the WAN function on MP2-10.130.1.7 and on Nano-10.130.1.252.
You can set up the WAN port on both devices to act as a LAN port to give you the physical upstream connections.

You also need to disable DHCP on MP2-10.130.1.7 and on Nano-10.130.1.252.

Set up the Netgear as the gateway by assigning it an IP address in the 10.130.1.x range and have its DHCP server running.

This way, any device on the network requesting an IP address will get it from this device, including the Gateway (Default Route) address to allow upstream access via NAT on this device.

You should set up the DHCP range so that it excludes the static addresses that you have assigned to various nodes in the network.
So you might set it to a range of .100 to .200 for example.

See comments in-line below for details.

BTW - That is a nice diagram and greatly assists the discussion.

Regards
Terry

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 12:05 AM, Sylvester Chibamo <sylveste...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi

1. DHCP

I notice from the diagram that you have three DHCP servers enabled on the network:

- MP2-10.130.1.7: DHCP is enabled as NAT is enabled on WAN port and could not get DHCP service from the Netgear, The WAN IP get allocated within the range 192.168.1.X,The other side the AirGrid connect to the Netgear.if no DCHP I get no internet.

I did not realise that you had enabled WAN on this device.

I assume that you have enabled WAN and set it to Ethernet so that you can use the physical WAN port to connect to the AirGrid P2P link.

I suggest that you disable WAN, and tick the checkbox labelled "Change WAN socket to LAN".
This will give you two LAN ports. Leave the connection to the AIrGrid as is.

Disable DHCP on this device.

- Nano-M2-10.130.1.252: This is to issue the DHCP especially to smart phones, The WAN port connects to the Netgear for internet access, the WAN port get allocated IP withing range 192.168.1.X

Disable the WAN port and set it up to be a LAN port.
Disable DHCP on this device.

- Netgear-192.168.1.1: This is the internet Gateway, it connects to the upstream and issues IPs via DHCP to user connecting wireless and via a cable.

This is likely to be causing problems with the softphone devices (at least) as they need to get an IP address in the same subnet as the softphone server Nan0-M2-10.130.1.252

So you need to take a look at that.

I expect that you would only need to have a single DHCP server running on the network, probably the one on the softphone server.

Will use one DHCP server if I do not use the WAN port, in this case for internet access I need to enable NAT and DHCP. If this can work with 1 DHCP server then its fine..

I suggest that you set this device up with an address in the 10.130.1.x range and enable its DHCP server.
This means that any device requesting an IP address will get it from this device, including the default route address for the gateway function.

2. Network connectivity

You should check whether you have basic network connectivity between the MP2s that you are trying to make calls on..

If you log in to the command line on MP2-10.130.1.7 on the customer side, can you ping one of the MP2s on the TechnoTrends side,  for example MP2-10.130.1.4 ?

There is no basic connectivity and therefore I cant make calls.

Is my connectivity layout fine? E.g Radio connecting to the WAN port on the customer side?

When you have made the changes and restarted all the devices, check that you can ping from the command line on MP2-10.130.1.7 to Nano-10.130.1.252 and also to another MP2 such as MP2-10.130.1.4.

You should also be able to ping and make calls between the MP2s called Ext 3, 4, and 5 which are all meshed with the Nano on .252

If you can ping between any two MP2s, then you should be able to make calls between them.

Sylvester Chibamo

Feb 2, 2016, 2:30:47 AM2/2/16
to village-...@googlegroups.com, lets...@hexloctech.com, chinga...@gmail.com

Hi Terry,

I have done the setup as per your advice and  am the basic connectivity is working fine.

10.130.1.7 is able to call 10.130.1.20.

DHCP is running on Netgear and its issuing the gateway as 10.130.1.25, I cant get it to issue a different IP as the default gateway. The Netgear is the Internet Gateway & its not flashed.

Now I need to get the smartphone working and this is configured on 10.130.1.252(Master), smartphones are not working properly as they are being issued with the Gateway as 10.130.1.25,

If I stop DHCP on the Netgear(R6300v2) and make the 10.130.1.252 as the DHCP server smart phones works fine but we are not able to browse the internet as the internet gateway is 10.130.1.25.

Please advice.

Regards,

Sylvester

Feb 2, 2016, 7:44:48 AM2/2/16
to village-telco-dev
Hi Sylvester

A few questions to clarify things please:

1. When you say that the smartphones are not working properly when the Netgear runs DHCP, what exactly do you mean?
2. What softphone app are you using on the smartphones?
3. Can they call other smartphones using the softphone app?
4. Can they call MP02 phones from the softphone app.

With the configuration you have described, there does not seem to be any obvious reason why the softphones should not work (afaik).
The LAN Gateway setting is not used for routing data or calls around the local network.

One thing to check is the LAN Gateway setting on the Nano (.252) on the SECN Basic config page. It should point to the Netgear at .25.
All SECN devices that have been assigned a static IP address should also have their LAN Gateway pointing to the Netgear device.

Alternatively, as a workaround you could try a different approach as follows:

1. Disable DHCP on the Netgear router.
2. Enable DHCP on the Nano (.252) in the SECN Advanced page DHCP section,
3. In the SECN Advanced page DHCP section on the Nano, set the Gateway Router field to point to the Netgear at .25
4. Along side this field is a checkbox labelled 'Use device IP' which is ticked by default.
    Untick this checkbox (otherwise it will revert to using its own IP)

Now when you restart the Nano it will hand out IP addresses as it did before, but will point to .25 as the gateway.

Regards
Terry