Question Mesh Potato 2.0 - Phone w/ external antenna to PBX and Server

Markus Z

Oct 2, 2015, 11:08:35 AM10/2/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Community,

Is it possible that I can connect a Mesh Potato 2.0 with a PBX system to an external call?
How do I configure the Mesh Potato 2.0 that he builds an external call?

Have a network painted:

http://www.gliffy.com/go/publish/9066789

http://www.gliffy.com/go/publish/image/9066789/L.png

Can I use a Raspberry Pi as a VTE server?

Can I implement that?
About feedback I would be happy. / Über Feedback würde ich mich freuen.

Bye Markus

Sjur Eivind Usken

Oct 2, 2015, 11:47:39 AM10/2/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, you probably need an FXO port to connect to the PBX. the mesh potato has FXS

Does the PBX have ISDN, in case I got a Patton SN1400 with two ISDN you can use to test it with.

What do the Terms FXS and FXO Mean?

FXS and FXO are the name of the ports used by analog phone lines (also known as POTS – Plain Old Telephone Service) or phones.

FXS – Foreign eXchange Subscriber interface is the port that actually delivers the analog line to the subscriber. In other words it is the “plug on the wall” that delivers a dial tone, battery current and ring voltage.

FXO – Foreign eXchange Office interface is the port that receives the analog line. It is the plug on the phone or fax machine, or the plug(s) on your analog phone system. It delivers an on-hook/off-hook indication (loop closure). Since the FXO port is attached to a device, such as a fax or phone, the device is often called the “FXO device”.

FXO and FXS are always paired, i.e similar to a male / female plug.

vennlig hilsen
Sjur Eivind Usken
+47 96999902

Markus

Oct 2, 2015, 12:25:26 PM10/2/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sjur Eivind Usken,

I'm just stumped which analog telephone port, the PBX system.
But the PBX has a BRI uk0 and S0 Interface. (Both)

http://www.patton.com/products/product_detail.asp?id=45

What is the configuration? MP via the LAN port on the BRI Gateway? SIP
configuration on the MP then to ...

Update Map:

http://www.gliffy.com/go/publish/9066789

http://www.gliffy.com/go/publish/image/9066789/L.png

Thanks.

Bye Markus

Am 02.10.2015 um 17:47 schrieb Sjur Eivind Usken:
> Hi, you probably need an FXO port to connect to the PBX. the mesh potato
> has FXS
>
> Does the PBX have ISDN, in case I got a Patton SN1400 with two ISDN you
> can use to test it with.
>

> What do the Terms FXS and FXO Mean?
>
> *FXS* and *FXO* are the name of the ports used by analog phone lines
> (also known as POTS – Plain Old Telephone Service) or phones.
>
> *FXS* – *F*oreign e*X*change *S*ubscriber interface is the port that
> actually delivers the analog line to the subscriber. In other words it
> is the “plug on the wall” that delivers a dial tone, battery current and
> ring voltage.
>
> *FXO* – *F*oreign e*X*change *O*ffice interface is the port that
> receives the analog line. It is the plug on the phone or fax machine, or
> the plug(s) on your analog phone system. It delivers an on-hook/off-hook
> indication (loop closure). Since the FXO port is attached to a device,
> such as a fax or phone, the device is often called the “FXO device”.
>
> FXO and FXS are always paired, i.e similar to a male / female plug.
>

> On 2 October 2015 at 17:08, 'Markus Z' via Village Telco Development
> Community <village-...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:village-...@googlegroups.com>> wrote:
>
> Hello Community,
>
> Is it possible that I can connect a Mesh Potato 2.0 with a PBX
> system to an external call?
> How do I configure the Mesh Potato 2.0 that he builds an external call?
>
> Have a network painted:
>
> http://www.gliffy.com/go/publish/9066789
>
> http://www.gliffy.com/go/publish/image/9066789/L.png
>
> Can I use a Raspberry Pi as a VTE server?
>
> Can I implement that?
> About feedback I would be happy. / Über Feedback würde ich mich freuen.
>
> Bye Markus
>
> --
>

> --
>

> vennlig hilsen
> Sjur Eivind Usken
> +47 96999902
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/village-telco-dev/CAAeS2PxCcw33rw7PKaaqx57HvdYQxYujYG9uk5R6_GpbyiSAYw%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/village-telco-dev/CAAeS2PxCcw33rw7PKaaqx57HvdYQxYujYG9uk5R6_GpbyiSAYw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

---

Keith Williamson

Oct 2, 2015, 1:10:05 PM10/2/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Markus,

The standard way to connect an MP02-Phone mesh to an upstream PBX is to configure one of the MP02-Phone units as the "MASTER" and have it register with the PBX via SIP (or perhaps IAX). Keep in mind that each MP02-Phone is essentially an IP-PBX (technically a "Back to Back User Agent" or B2BUA) since it runs Asterisk. In the case of a non-MASTER MP02-Phone, Asterisk must still be running to provide ATA service to the attached POTs phone. The MP02-Phone running as MASTER provides the call switching between the non-MASTER MP02-Phones, any Smartphones/softphones registered to the MASTER, and optionally an upstream VoIP provider (like your PBX). However, this last statement assumes that your PBX supports VoIP and is not a pure POTS PBX.

The dialplan on the MP02-Phone running MASTER forwards calls based on the dialled number. In the WebUI under Advanced, you'll find the Asterisk configuration where you can setup the registration information to connect to an upstream provider. Handling of incoming calls from the upstream provider depend on how many DID numbers your upstream provider/account provides. If just one DID number is provided, generally the strategy is to create a simple "auto-attendant" on the MP02-Phone running as MASTER that answers the incoming call and provides an opportunity for the caller to enter an extension representing the particular MP02-Phone they are trying to reach.

If your PBX is indeed a pure POTS PBX, I think your only option is to connect the FXS port of one or more MP02-Phone units to corresponding FXO ports on the PBX (if the PBX has any FXO ports available). Those FXO ports on the PBX are generally considered trunks and are typically used to connect the PBX to the PSTN. I don't have much experience with classic POTs-only PBX's so I don't know if you can have FXO ports that can be used to connect to downstream devices like the MP02-Phone leaving the PBX's BRI or PRI ports to provide the trunk to the PSTN.

We would need to know more about the particular PBX.

Cheers,

Keith

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/village-telco-dev/560EAFEF.9050201%40googlemail.com.

Song, Stephen

Oct 2, 2015, 2:53:26 PM10/2/15
to Village Telco Dev
Markus,

Perhaps you could take a step back and tell us what is the problem you are trying to solve?

Cheers... Steve

Sjur Eivind Usken

Oct 3, 2015, 1:00:19 AM10/3/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com

What is the configuration? MP via the LAN port on the BRI Gateway? SIP configuration on the MP then to ...

Update Map:

http://www.gliffy.com/go/publish/9066789

http://www.gliffy.com/go/publish/image/9066789/L.png

The old way of doing SIP trunking ( as someone called it) was just to have two trusted IPs (but not very secure since you are using UDP... )
The solution nowaday was to log into with one account which you routed several numbers over. You are right on the map, but just have static IPs on that LAN from meshpotato ethernet port to the patton.

So you use the first meshpotato and allow all incoming calls from this telephone bridge (Patton) to be routed through the first meshpotato. (you could also replicate the logic of dialing the IP direct on Patton, but it will take some more time... )

Outbound calls, then you can either allow all IPs on the mesh network to call through the Patton directly (insecure!) or deploy authentication towards this Patton.

I think I also got some analog cards (with FXO port)  laying around if you want to make a small computer doing the same bridging as the Patton does. Can ship them if I find them.

regards
sjur

Markus

Oct 3, 2015, 10:47:37 AM10/3/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hello everybody.

Thank you already now. Can only respond in detail on Monday.

Greeting Markus