MP02 with PoE or PoTL

Dante Torres

Aug 17, 2015, 7:13:03 PM8/17/15
to Village Telco Development Community
buenas tarde, tengo una pregunta. El router MP02 se puede energizar por PoE o PoTL?

Song, Stephen

Aug 17, 2015, 9:00:05 PM8/17/15
to Village Telco Dev
Hola Dante,

No, the MP2 Basic and the MP2 Phone do not support PoE or PoTL.  You could use something like the following to approximate it

Regards... Steve

On 17 August 2015 at 19:11, Dante Torres <amay...@gmail.com> wrote:
buenas tarde, tengo una pregunta. El router MP02 se puede energizar por PoE o PoTL?

Luis Portillo

Aug 17, 2015, 10:58:09 PM8/17/15
to Village Telco Development Community
No se puede por POE
Message has been deleted

Dante Torres

Aug 20, 2015, 10:03:52 PM8/20/15
to Village Telco Development Community
Ok, thank you very much, we are managing to buy MP02, to create a network in a rural area of El Salvador. We have the experience of working with the MP01, but now the challenge is to set the MP02. This network will be managed by an asterisk installed in a RaspberryPI. I would appreciate any advice or observation.

T Gillett

Aug 21, 2015, 3:44:02 AM8/21/15
to village-telco-dev

Hi Dante

One thing you should consider carefully before buying the MP02 devices is whether you will need external antennas.

The internal antennas are 2dB chip antennas on the pcb and are intended for internal use over short range.

It is much better to buy the units already set up for external antennas if you are going to need them as it is not simple to modify the units to change from internal antennas.

You might also look at getting something like 6dB external antennas to get better range.

Can you tell us some details of your network like the number of nodes and the likely distances between modes.

Also whether you intend to use the network for telephony, data or both.

Are you familiar with the SECN firmware on the MP01 or the earlier VT firmware?

Regards
Terry

Carlos Martinez

Aug 21, 2015, 11:07:30 AM8/21/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Terry
My name is Carlos. Dante is doing his undergraduate project with me, at the University of El Salvador. He comes from a town call Sensutepeque. He has been in contact with people from a village about 10kms far north. About two years ago, using a radio link, they introduce their own Internet.

Carlos Eugenio Martínez Cruz
Escuela de Ingeniería Eléctrica
Universidad de El Salvador

Carlos Martinez

Aug 21, 2015, 11:19:54 AM8/21/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Again
Sorry, I did not finished my email. I will write it again:
My name is Carlos. Dante is doing his undergraduate project with me, at the University of El Salvador. He comes from a town call Sensutepeque. He has been in contact with people from a village about 10kms far north. About two years ago, using a radio link, they introduced their own Internet.  Now they have shown interest in building up their own mesh.  I understand they want something between 25 and 50 nodes. I guess distances are not bigger than 1-2 kms apart. However there could be some nodes very far away (about 5 kms). Here at the University of El Salvador we have both kind of networks (SECN and VT firmware). Actually we are trying to unified both, task has proved to be very difficult.
Regards,
Carlos

T Gillett

Aug 21, 2015, 11:42:11 PM8/21/15
to village-telco-dev

Hi Carlos

Good to hear from you about the project. With those hop distances you will certainly need some better external antennas. And perhaps sone point to point links for the longest ones.

You might like to look at the Altermundi project to see how the built high gain antennas if you have not already seen it.

It would be good if you can share the design process on the forum here as it goes along so that everyone in the VT community can learn from it and contribute from their own experiences.

It will be difficult to interop VT and SECN firmware due to the changes in batman adv software which makes them incompatible on a mesh.

MP01 devices are supported in SECN 2 firmware for compatibility with MP02 devices, but not later than that version.

If you can outline what you want to do with the integration we may be able to help work out what is possible.

Regards
Terry

Carlos Martinez

Aug 22, 2015, 7:40:46 AM8/22/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Terry
Thanks for your answer. Next week we will tell you details about this new project.
Kind wishes,
Carlos