Bullet M2 + B.A.T.M.A.N used for dynamic mesh of agricultural vehicles

Thalles Rigobello

Feb 3, 2016, 10:31:07 AM2/3/16
to Village Telco Development Community
Hi Everyone. I've been reseaching about mesh network with Bullet M2 for two months and last week I found  B.A.T.M.A.N-ADV application.

I'm developing a dynamic mesh to work on agricultural fields, providing comunication between the diferents vehicles working on field. I saw 2 possibles firmwares to work on Bullet, VT and SECN.

I need a DHCP network to handle diferents vehicles coming in and out of this mesh. Which firmware is more indicated for this approach, VT or SECN? Is there a guide for initial setup of Bullet M2 with this firmwares?

Thanks,

T Gillett

Feb 3, 2016, 2:42:50 PM2/3/16
to village-telco-dev

Hi Thalles
This is a very interesting project. Please post back here from time to time to let us know how it is going.

You should use the SECN firmware as it is built on current components of OpenWrt and batman-adv.

The VT firmware is no longer maintained.

I suggest that you use SECN 3 Stable firmware and the User Guide document is available on the Wiki page.

I assume that you already have OpenWrt installed on the Bullett M2 and so you can install the sysupgrade firmware. Be sure that you do NOT save settings when you flash the SECN firmware.

Regards
Terry

Thalles Rigobello

Feb 12, 2016, 7:58:03 AM2/12/16
to Village Telco Development Community
Thanks Terry,

I've been reading SECN 3 User Guide and noticed that it only can be configured with static IP. It that right? It doesn't support DHCP?

For now i'm testing Bullet range and interferences due metal structures.

Somebody has already achieved 2km with bullet M2 and 8dBi omni antenna on line-of-sight outdoors?

Carlos Rey-Moreno

Feb 12, 2016, 8:59:06 AM2/12/16
to village-telco-dev
Hi Thales, if you are talking about the M2 HP, you should be more than able to do it. Their Tx Power is 28dBm, plus the 8dBi antenna, so, you should be able to get a very high rate at 2km if you have clear LoS.

carlos

Carlos Rey-Moreno, PhD
Cel: +27 (0) 76 986 3633
Skype: carlos.reymoreno Twitter: Creym

Steve Song

Feb 12, 2016, 9:30:47 AM2/12/16
to Village Telco Dev
Hi Thalles,

You could have the devices pick up IP addresses via DHCP (it would take a little behind the scenes configuration) but in general we don't recommend it because if you want to login to a specific device, it can be quite hard to know what the IP address of the device is when it is picking up its address via DHCP.  You could specify the MAC address and IP assignment in your DHCP server but that is just as much or more work than simply setting the IP address of the devices.

Cheers... Steve

Thalles Rigobello

Feb 12, 2016, 10:41:21 AM2/12/16
to Village Telco Development Community
I've tried to reproduce the best scenario possible since I'm in the city, on tests I got 1 km range with a very low rate. Next, I'll try on a beach far from metallic structures, buildings and other interferences, reproducing a farm field scene.

Thanks Carlos.