Room to room to garden shed wifi??

Robert Burgess

Dec 9, 2016, 9:45:00 AM12/9/16
to Village Telco Development Community
Hi

I live in the UK, and have BT Broadband... Earlier this year I subscribed to BT TV, but have not been able to get it running as the BT extender system will only run on a single ring main system. The BT (Hub 5) modem is in the kitchen, and is on a different circuit to the TV in the lounge. The connection from the set-top box is by ethernet cable, not wireless - the extender boxes are supposed to talk to each other to carry the signal via the house wiring, but don't work even though both circuits originate from the same (single phase) consumer unit (fuse box)..

Would I be able to use two wireless Mesh Potatoes to do the same job?? Do they have an ethernet port?? I'm OK on house wiring but computers and electronics totally baffle me, so I need an 'idiot-proof' system...

I guess if this would work in the house that I could connect a third box in my shed to give me internet access there??

Advice/help please... it would be great to have the system working for Christmas as all the family will be here...

If this will work, who are the UK distributers???

Thanks in antcipation...

T Gillett

Dec 9, 2016, 3:38:15 PM12/9/16
to village-telco-dev
Hi Robert

You could use MPs for this situation, but you would need a fairly high level of technical expertise to set it up, and it is overkill.

The BT Hub5 router has a wifi Access Point built-in, so all you need is a device that can act as a wifi client and provide the Ethernet connection for the TV.

I have used the TP Link MR3020 devices for this purpose previously. They are compact devices, work well and are easy to set up.

You set the device to WISP mode (with the switch on the side), then set up the client side ID and Passphrase to match the wifi on the BT Hub5. It is also worthwhile to disable the internal Access Point in the MR3020 as you won't need it.

You can use a second MR3020 device in the shed if the wifi signal reaches there strongly enough. If not, you may have to use a different device with better external antennas to pick up the wifi signal.

Probably worth finding someone with some wifi experience to help you set it up if you have not played with this sort of stuff before.

Regards
Terry