difference between MP01 and MP

phakamani mavela

Jul 9, 2014, 2:49:11 PM7/9/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

im fairly new to MP's. ive never operated one my self but i see use of them and i have read abit about how they work and how they are set up.
im currently on a venture to introduce a mesh network in the township of Khayelitsha in cape town south africa. i saw on the village telco site that MP01 are out of stock.
the difference in look of the two Mesh devices begs me to ask, what is the difference between the two and maybe even similarities in use

thank you in advance

Song, Stephen

Jul 10, 2014, 7:41:12 AM7/10/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've made a brief table which summarises the features of the MP1 versus the different versions of the MP2.

It's a little basic but I'll expand the details in it shortly.  Comments or questions welcome.

Cheers... Steve

Steve Song

Dave Duchesneau

Jul 10, 2014, 12:43:49 PM7/10/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Steve,

Nice comparison table.

It might be useful to include the transmit power and power supply voltage range (e.g., 9-15 VDC) in your table.

It would be nice to add a line for relevant options for each model.  For example, the basic edition would list the both the FXS port and the serial interface as an options, whereas the MP2 Phone edition would not list the FXS port.  It’s not clear, however, whether the FXS port and serial interface share the same connector (which would make them mutually exclusive), so this could be cleared up in the table.

You might also want to have a separate column for Basic + External antenna, because I predict it will be a popular combination.

Finally, it would be useful to include a link from the table to the product page for each model (such as http://store.villagetelco.com/mesh-potato-2-basic-antenna.html for the Basic with External Antenna).  You could just put a link behind each table heading.

Dave Duchesneau

phakamani mavela

Jul 12, 2014, 5:43:14 AM7/12/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Steve for the table. So I assume the MP02 AWD version has not been made yet since I can only see the MP02 Basic on the site for sale?

Song, Stephen

Jul 12, 2014, 10:53:31 AM7/12/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Yes, the MP2 Basic is the only device currently available.  The MP2 Phone should be available any day now.  The MP2 AWD will depend on what sort of demand there is for the MP2 Phone.

Cheers... Steve

On 12 July 2014 06:43, phakamani mavela <phakama...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you Steve for the table. So I assume the MP02 AWD version has not been made yet since I can only see the MP02 Basic on the site for sale?

phakamani mavela

Jul 13, 2014, 1:48:36 PM7/13/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thank for the heads up Steve. i just have once last question. since i'm still trying to source funding for the initial nodes. could you tell me the average reach of the MP's in meters if one would mount one on a typical township roof top. i need to work out the bare minimum number of nodes i would need to cover a significant area. I'm hoping have an initial grid as a proof of concept and get the community involved.

Song, Stephen

Jul 19, 2014, 6:47:55 AM7/19/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Sorry for the slow reply.  The maximum recommended distance between MPs is 300-400m with reasonable line-of-sight.  The hotspot created by each MP is significantly smaller than this though and is the same as that of any commodity WiFi router.  If you are looking to create comprehensive WiFi hotspot coverage you will need a much denser network than 300-400m.

Cheers... Steve

Andrés Leopoldo Pacheco Sanfuentes

Jul 19, 2014, 7:51:49 AM7/19/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com

Steve,

Thanks for the clarification. A follow-up question: any data on the the actual area size of wifi hotspot coverage per node?

Song, Stephen

Jul 19, 2014, 8:39:25 AM7/19/14
On 19 July 2014 08:51, Andrés Leopoldo Pacheco Sanfuentes <alps...@gmail.com> wrote:

Steve,

Thanks for the clarification. A follow-up question: any data on the the actual area size of wifi hotspot coverage per node?

It just depends on what's between you the user and the MP.  With no obstructions, probably up to 100m away but there are often obstructions, walls, trees, etc which will reduce the range.

Cheers... Steve