Mesh potato 2.0 as a wireless repeater

Paolo Notari

Oct 21, 2015, 11:52:46 AM10/21/15
to Village Telco Development Community
hello,

how shall I configure the mash potato 2.0 as a wireless repeater?

this is the standard configuration for openwrt

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/atheroswds

the radio can be used as a client and access point in the same time, in order to extend a wireless network;

thx in advance,

Paolo

Steve Song

Oct 21, 2015, 12:14:00 PM10/21/15
to Village Telco Dev
Hi Paolo,

This is one option we have never gotten around to implementing in the Mesh Potato. We're not opposed to it but as a mesh device, batman-adv nodes achieve the same end as a wireless repeater in a more secure way i.e. with WPA2.  We could look at integrating WDS into the configuration but in the mean time, if you need it right away, it might be easier to install the stock version of OpenWrt on the MP2.

Cheers... Steve

T Gillett

Oct 21, 2015, 4:34:16 PM10/21/15
to village-telco-dev
Hi Paolo

As Steve has said, we have not implemented WDS in the SECN firmware as Mesh offers an alternative.

However there are two simple WiFi "repeater" options available on the SECN-Advanced-WAN page.

- If you select WiFi WAN mode, then it operates a WiFi client interface on the WAN side of the router, with NAT operating between the WAN and LAN sides.

- If you select WiFi Relay WAN mode, then it operates without NAT, ie the LAN side is connected straight through to the upstream WiFi using the 'relayd' package.

To configure, just go to the WAN page and select the WiFi WAN mode you want and enter the SSID, Encryption and Passphrase of the upstream Access Point. Save, check the settings and restart.

The status of the upstream connection will be shown on the Status page.

By default the WiFi WAN interface is set up to obtain an IP address by DHCP from the upstream device, but you can set it up for a Static IP if you wish.

One thing to note is that the IP address assigned to the SECN device on the LAN side (ie the MP's own IP address) must be in a different IP address range to that used by the upstream device.

This is not normally an issue as the default SECN IP address is 10.130.1.x and upstream devices are unlikely to use this address range.

There is a page about SECN WAN Options on the Village Telco Wiki here:

And the SECN 3 User guide is here:

I suggest that you use the SECN 3 firmware for this as it is the current stable firmware.

Regards
Terry