TP-Link TL-WR741NDV2

Breno Jacinto

Apr 9, 2014, 11:02:10 AM4/9/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,

    I'm about to purchase a couple of TP-Link devices for my research project, given that they are being imported and sold here in Brazil for a reasonable price. I could check at the wiki page http://wiki.villagetelco.org/TP_Link some of the models supported. One of the is WR741, but it seems to have several versions of the device and varying prices.

     Just for checking, is it OK to buy any WR741 version/model? The cheapest I could see is TL-WR741NDV2.

cheers,
---> Breno Jacinto
---> Instituto Federal de Educação, Ciência e Tecnologia de Alagoas (IFAL)
-----> http://www.ifal.edu.br
---> Life is Choice. You can choose to be a victim, or anything else you want to be. (Sócrates - Peaceful Warrior) <--

Breno Jacinto

Apr 9, 2014, 1:36:20 PM4/9/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

   I just found it out at the OpenWRT that this model works fine: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr741nd#tl-wr741nd.v2.x

thanks!

---> Breno Jacinto
---> Instituto Federal de Educação, Ciência e Tecnologia de Alagoas (IFAL)
-----> http://www.ifal.edu.br
---> Life is Choice. You can choose to be a victim, or anything else you want to be. (Sócrates - Peaceful Warrior) <--

T Gillett

Apr 9, 2014, 4:59:38 PM4/9/14
to village-telco-dev

Hi Breno

We do publish SECN images for the TP WR741 devices.

However if you plan to use these for a research project you might consider buying a device with more memory than is provided in these entry level devices (32MB ram and 4MB Flash).

The WR842 provides 8MB Flash, and the WDR3600, 4200 devices provide additional RAM and Flash.

The MP2 provides 64MB RAM and 16MB Flash.

Regards
Terry

Breno Jacinto

Apr 9, 2014, 5:31:21 PM4/9/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Terry,

  Thanks a lot for the hint! Very useful. It's a pity I still can't import MP2 devices, but I'll try again this year.

best regards,

---> Breno Jacinto
---> Instituto Federal de Educação, Ciência e Tecnologia de Alagoas (IFAL)
-----> http://www.ifal.edu.br
---> Life is Choice. You can choose to be a victim, or anything else you want to be. (Sócrates - Peaceful Warrior) <--

T Gillett

Apr 9, 2014, 5:39:43 PM4/9/14
to village-telco-dev

Hi Breno

I did not realise that was an issue in your country.

Just check the OpenWrt ToH web site to make sure any device you are considering is supported. If so, then SECN firmware can be added.

This site will also tell you how much memory the devices have.
The 4MB flash is a particular limitation as it prevents installation of packages like Asterisk without using USB flash and additional work to install externally.

The WDR 3600 / 4200 devices are very useful with lots of memory and dual band radio.

Regards
Terry

Breno Jacinto

Apr 11, 2014, 9:20:19 PM4/11/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Terry,

   It's not an issue to import MP's to Brazil itself, but my employer, which is a public university, is unable to buy from any company from abroad. But they told me now that new policies are being employed to ease the importing of research equipment.

    The WDR 3600 / 4200 are really good equipment but are a bit expensive for me by now. This device you mentioned, WR842 seems to be the best cost/benefit for us. We're running an experiment to compare indoor Mesh use versus regular WiFi/WDS. If we get to replace those antennas with some 8dB from TP-link itself I think it would be even better. What you think? I could provide a rough sketch for the network topology.

cheers and thanks

---> Breno Jacinto
---> Instituto Federal de Educação, Ciência e Tecnologia de Alagoas (IFAL)
-----> http://www.ifal.edu.br
---> Life is Choice. You can choose to be a victim, or anything else you want to be. (Sócrates - Peaceful Warrior) <--

T Gillett

Apr 12, 2014, 4:27:56 AM4/12/14
to village-telco-dev
Hi Breno

An outline of the network topology would be good - just an idea of the number of nodes and their layout.

I would give them a try with the standard antennas before going to the expense of replacing them.

Just check carefully the exact version number of the WR842 devices that are on sale and compare with what the OpenWrt ToH page has listed. The devices I have are Ver 1.0

Regards
Terry

Breno Jacinto

Apr 14, 2014, 1:38:42 PM4/14/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Terry,

   Thanks again. The version I'm about to buy (http://www.kabum.com.br/produto/34451/tp-link-roteador-wireless-n-multi-funcional-de-300mbps-tl-wr842nd-/?tag=WR842ND) is version 1.1 and according to their website (http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr842nd) it is fully supported.

    One question about the MP2: is it possible to use external antennas?

cheers,

---> Breno Jacinto
---> Instituto Federal de Educação, Ciência e Tecnologia de Alagoas (IFAL)
-----> http://www.ifal.edu.br
---> Life is Choice. You can choose to be a victim, or anything else you want to be. (Sócrates - Peaceful Warrior) <--

Song, Stephen

Apr 14, 2014, 1:49:11 PM4/14/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Breno,

On 14 April 2014 14:38, Breno Jacinto <bren...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Terry,

   Thanks again. The version I'm about to buy (http://www.kabum.com.br/produto/34451/tp-link-roteador-wireless-n-multi-funcional-de-300mbps-tl-wr842nd-/?tag=WR842ND) is version 1.1 and according to their website (http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr842nd) it is fully supported.

    One question about the MP2: is it possible to use external antennas?

Yes, the MP2 has a U.FL (IPEX) connector on the pcb.  You can get simple adaptors to convert U.FL to SMA for about $2 on ebay.

Cheers... Steve

T Gillett

Apr 14, 2014, 5:22:34 PM4/14/14
to village-telco-dev

Breno
As Steve says, the MP2 has connectors for antenna, but to use them you have to remove a smd link from the PCB.
It is probably best to order the MP2 with the antenna socket(s) fitted rather than modify the board unless you have good facilities for this.
Terry

Breno Jacinto

Apr 14, 2014, 7:45:48 PM4/14/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Terry / Steve,

   How could I order with the proper antenna sockets?

cheers,

---> Breno Jacinto
---> Instituto Federal de Educação, Ciência e Tecnologia de Alagoas (IFAL)
-----> http://www.ifal.edu.br
---> Life is Choice. You can choose to be a victim, or anything else you want to be. (Sócrates - Peaceful Warrior) <--

Song, Stephen

Apr 15, 2014, 8:56:48 AM4/15/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Breno,

Give me a day or two to set it up on the ecommerce site.  Back to you shortly.

Cheers... Steve

Dave Duchesneau

Apr 14, 2014, 8:03:03 PM4/14/14
to village-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Terry & Steve,

Ø       It is probably best to order the MP2 with the antenna socket(s) fitted rather than modify the board…

I would also like to order some units that are prepped for external antennas without having to modify PCBs.  U.FL (IPEX) connectors would be fine, since I’d prefer a U.FL pigtail with an N-type connector on the other end (for connecting to a filter, lightning arrestor, etc., or for heavy-duty bulkhead mounting).

All the best,

Dave Duchesneau

d...@crisis-force.org