Mesh over Ubiquity

ICS Regina

Jan 15, 2015, 1:45:44 PM1/15/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I tried some searches, so my apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

If I wish to connect Wildernets on MP devices across some Ubiquity (or other) devices due to distance, do the bridging devices need to be running Wildernets as well or will it find the other MP devices on the other side?

Thanks.

T Gillett

Jan 15, 2015, 5:47:26 PM1/15/15
to village-telco-dev
Hi

Wildernets firmware runs the same mesh as SECN 2.x ie the version of batman-adv is the same and the SSID and BSSID are the same.
Both are running OpenWrt Attitude Adjustment 12.09.1

So you can use SECN 2.0 firmware on a ubiquity device to form a mesh with current Wildernets based MP02s.

When Wildernets is ported to Openwrt Barrier Breaker, it will mesh with SECN 3.x.

Regards
Terry

Joe Bunefa

Jan 15, 2015, 6:06:15 PM1/15/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Terry  for clarifying more on this. Just to add on to this, what models of Ubiquity Aps we can use with SECN.

Appreciate your prompt responds.

Cheers,

Joe Bunefa
(Chief Technical Officer/Director)
jbu...@isilinkit.com

IsiLinkIT Limited
P.O. Box 3593, BOROKO, NCD
Papua New Guinea
Ph: +675 3435593
Mob: +675 76876175 / 71573839 (PNG)
         +62 82199460099 (Indonesia)

Whats App / Viber: +675  77560517
Skype ID:  bunefaj
Authorised Agent & Partner for NComputing Inc/ TrueCafe /
Papua New Guinea Desktop Visualization Technology    - http://www.isilinkit.com

T Gillett

Jan 15, 2015, 6:36:37 PM1/15/15
to village-telco-dev

Hi Joe

I have posted SECN firmware for Nano-M, Bullet-M and Rocket-M devices. I test on Nano and Rocket.

The Pico uses Bullet firmware.

Regards
Terry

Joe Bunefa

Wayne Abroue

Jan 16, 2015, 12:49:47 AM1/16/15
to village-telco-dev

Hi

I would like to throw in my take. I you are asking to just use the ubnt as a bridging line . It will be fine as it is the same as using a cable.

As long as the 2 segments see each other it does not matter how they are connected.

If you are bridging for distance,  stick with ubnt software as the benefits vastly outweigh wrt in this regard.

Wayne

T Gillett

Jan 16, 2015, 3:40:47 AM1/16/15
to village-telco-dev
Wayne makes a good point.

If you want to use a Ubiquity device just as part of your local mesh (eg as a central node on a tower for example) then you can install SECN firmware on it as outlined. This can allow your mesh to cover a wider area.

But if you specifically want to set up a long distance link to connect the local mesh to a network a some distance away, then you will be better off using the Ubiquity equipment with its original firmware as that is what it is optimised for.

The link does not need to be running the mesh protocol.

You can then connect the local Ubiquity device to one of the mesh nodes via its Ethernet port to give the mesh nodes access to the remote network.

Regards
Terry

ICS Regina

Jan 19, 2015, 5:40:54 PM1/19/15
to village-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Wayne, Terry,

That was the thrust of my question.  I am looking at using the Ubiquity to bridge longer distances between groups of MP2.0 devices.  So if I can do that with the 'plain vanilla' bullets or what have you that is great.  Basically using the Ubiqutiy mesh to backhaul wildernets/secn meshes.

Thanks again.

T Gillett

Jan 19, 2015, 7:15:03 PM1/19/15
to village-telco-dev

You are welcome.

It would be good if you could write up an outline of your network that we could post on the wiki to help others who are trying to solve similar problems.

There is nothing more valuable to give back to the community than a collection of working solutions to help people get started ;-)

This is an appeal / offer to anyone who can document their working network.

If you can put together some text and a diagram I will happily turn it in to a wiki page and post it up gor you.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Terry