Re: [3D-PRO] standardized camera reports

Sam Richards

Dec 19, 2013, 1:26:07 AM12/19/13
to Andy Jones, ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com, 3D-...@listserv.icors.org
Cross posting to the camera-report forum. I have seen camera reports with both usages, Charlie or Pete, care to comment?

For the version comment, that does make sense, although I would need to repeat it, which is a drag, but is probably worth it, for precisely the previous issue.

Sam.

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 3:34 PM, Andy Jones <andy....@gmail.com> wrote:
Does the terminology of "Camera Head" and "Camera Rig" bother anyone else?
 I would have expected "Body" to be the camera itself, "Head" to be
something like "Libra" and "Rig" to be "Sticks," "Technocrane," etc.  So
rig seems right to me, but I would replace "Head" with "Body" and probably
add a separate field for "Head."

It seems especially important, given that some camera heads can output
data, and the head will dictate how the camera rotation introduces small
amounts of parallax.

My other comment is that it seems like there should be a field for what
version of the specification itself is being recorded.  So if they ever
want to make a change, any parser will know what fields to expect.  Kind of
like a magic number in a file header, or the SUP version data in Alexa
metadata.

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 4:35 PM, Nicolas Galan <galan....@gmail.com>wrote:

> Do you think the person who replaced "james bond" by "james pond" probably
> to avoid legal problems in the example did know about this video game ?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Pond
>

> 2013/12/18 Mark Wendell <mark.w...@gmail.com>
>
> > Passing this on...
> >
> > The VES has released a standardized camera report form. They acknowledge
> > that this is a starting point, and they fully expect it to evolve as they
> > receive more input.
> >
> > Press release: http://www.visualeffectssociety.com/ves-camera-report
> > Main page, including downloads: http://www.camerareports.org/
> >

> > --
> > Mark Wendell
> >
> > __
> > 3D-PRO is proudly supported by the following people:
> > http://3dpro.org/supporters
> >
> > If you find 3D-PRO to be of value, you can say thank you by contributing
> > to the 3D-PRO Support Fund.
> >

> __
> 3D-PRO is proudly supported by the following people:
> http://3dpro.org/supporters
>
> If you find 3D-PRO to be of value, you can say thank you by contributing
> to the 3D-PRO Support Fund.

__
3D-PRO is proudly supported by the following people: http://3dpro.org/supporters

If you find 3D-PRO to be of value, you can say thank you by contributing to the 3D-PRO Support Fund.

Sam Richards

Dec 19, 2013, 1:46:38 AM12/19/13
to Andy Jones, ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com, 3D-...@listserv.icors.org
Thinking about it some more, couldn't something like the libra also be classified as the "Camera Rig"? Would you really need to have it as a separate field?

I noticed that the RnH report that we started with does have a "Camera Rig/Body" field, and a separate "Camera Head" field, but the values don't match up.

I wonder if the term "Camera Mount" rather than "camera head" might be a bit more descriptive and less confusing?

Sam.

Pete Wellington

Dec 19, 2013, 3:33:21 PM12/19/13
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com, Andy Jones, 3D-...@listserv.icors.org
Hi Sam,
In my experience we use;
"Camera mount" to refer to techno crane, dolly etc
"Camera head" to refer to the libra, o'conor etc
"Camera body", for alexa 2826, red epic etc
"Stereo rig type" field to refer to; 3ality TS35, TS5 Inverted etc

We also use a "Rig identifier" field, which is a unique identifier for the shoot that is assigned to each camera or camera pair for stereo shoots. This is more often than not synonymous with the camera letter, but there are shoots where a wrangler will submit camera letter as just A, B or C and have the rig identifier as XH, XS etc.
The Rig ID will then be used along with the shoot day and unit to match up additional data recorded on set; data from the camera body or head etc.

This initiative really seems to be getting legs since the fxguide article!
Thanks for all your work Sam.

Pete

Sam Richards

Jan 11, 2014, 10:21:39 PM1/11/14
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com, Andy Jones, 3D-...@listserv.icors.org
I'm working on the revised version of the filemaker database, and would love some additional examples of 'Camera Head'.

Sam.

Pete Wellington

Jan 16, 2014, 10:34:19 PM1/16/14
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com, Andy Jones, 3D-...@listserv.icors.org
Hi Sam,
Here is a (far from exhaustive) list of some common camera heads.

Libra
Scorpio
Mini Scorpio
o'connor
Pana Head
HydroFlex Hydro
Tango
Arrihead

Hope that helps,
Pete

RobotHerders

Feb 4, 2014, 9:47:49 AM2/4/14
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com, Andy Jones, 3D-...@listserv.icors.org
I 2nd this whole thread.

I feel as though there should be a field for

Camera Body (Alexa, Epic, etc.)

Camera Mount (Legs, Dolly, Techno, Slider, etc.)

Camera Head (O'Connor, Pana, Libra, etc.)

----

Here are some (MORE) examples of heads:
O’Connor
O’Connor/Slider