Shoot Day field

David Burton

Dec 13, 2013, 6:42:25 PM12/13/13
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

The only thing that is missing from Camera Reports I have used is a Shoot Day Field.  I use Shoot Day frequently as it corresponds to notes from production during
the shoot.  If anyone else uses Shoot Days I'd like to suggest adding it.   Also would put up for discussion I/A start-end fields for stereo shoots.

thanks for putting this together.  Very well done and well thought out.

-david burton

Rob Bredow

Dec 14, 2013, 11:43:48 AM12/14/13
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com

Both fields sound like good additions to me. Thanks David for taking a look and your input.

Sincerely,

Rob

Sam Richards

Dec 14, 2013, 2:09:11 PM12/14/13
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
For the shoot-day, is that relative to a particular date, or is that only incremented on actual "Shoot Days"? (Or both?).
I'm wondering from the point of view of auto-populating it, whether I require its entry, or populate it as a number relative to a known start
date (but still allow it to be overwritten).

For I/A start-end fields, we would greatly appreciate any input on the stereo fields in general, in particular the convergence.
We know the 3ality rig is doing it as a distance (measured in feet), but do not know for certain if that is true for all rigs.

Stereo is the area we feel the least confident on the specs, since we have only used the 3ality rig, so if anybody has any additional
info that would really help us with that.

Thanks again for the input.

Sam.

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 3:42 PM, David Burton <dalan...@gmail.com> wrote:

Charles Clavadetscher

Dec 14, 2013, 2:59:50 PM12/14/13
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
I am baffled by the term "shoot day."
On set this is usually something on the call sheet, but I can't see how that would mean anything, so I assume the term refers to ...?

How is "shoot day" different than the date?
What is the advantage please.

charlie

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 3:42 PM, David Burton <dalan...@gmail.com> wrote:

Rob Bredow

Dec 14, 2013, 3:09:58 PM12/14/13
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
Shoot day starts at 1 and counts up for each shooting day on the movie--not counting days off. It's only useful in that it corresponds nicely to the script notes which are often indexed by shoot day (rather than date).

Charles Clavadetscher

Dec 14, 2013, 3:17:28 PM12/14/13
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
Okay that is the number on the call sheet, although it varies if you have 2nd, 3rd, splinter units etc.

I still can't see how this is useful vs "date, set name, shot sequence ID," but that doesn't mean "shot date" isn't useful.
I'm just not clear how adding this field yields some new connection.

charlie

Sam Richards

Dec 16, 2013, 10:33:06 PM12/16/13
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
Dave, it would be great if you could give us examples of where you have found the "shooting day" more useful than the "Shoot Date".

Are script notes always in shooting day? Cant it get confusing with 2nd unit, which could have their own "shooting day" (As Charlie mentioned)?

Sam.

David Burton

Dec 17, 2013, 9:13:27 AM12/17/13
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
A shoot day is always the same for first and second unit.  It's the universal time keeping mechanism from the first to last day of shooting. My notes especially from the upm and 1st ad and production design and call sheets will use shoot day.  I use both the shoot day and the shoot date in my cam reports so I can cross ref weeks or months later.  Also useful for getting change orders as production producers go by shoot day

Thanks. I'll be out of country for next two months.

-David

Sent from my iPad
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "ves-tech-camera-reports" group.

David Burton

Dec 14, 2013, 2:29:37 PM12/14/13
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, I am getting on a plane tomorrow to Beijing for a Stereo VFX Shoot and I'll be putting the Camera Report thru it's paces.

On a side note, I think you and the folks at Imageworks have done a great job with your open source initiatives.  It really helps us out at the
smaller shops spend less time in development and more time on the craft.

-david

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "ves-tech-camera-reports" group.