VES Camera Reports Status

John Carney

Apr 15, 2014, 2:16:08 PM4/15/14
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I am new to this thread.  We would like to find out more about this project and its adoption.

We are MovieLabs - an industry R&D organization founded by Disney, Sony Pictures, Warner Brothers, NBC/Universal, Paramounts and Fox.  We work on multiple standards initiatives.  We have recently started looking at efforts toward standardization of camera metadata.  This VED effort looks like great progress in that direction.  Would like to discuss the status of this work and its adoption as well as see how we might help.  I'd also like to discuss inclusion of EIDR as the unique global identifier for linking together multiple camera files associated with the same production. EIIDR is used widely on the other end of the film ecosystem - would be good to knit the whole chain together using the same ID.

Thanks,

John Carney
MovieLabs

Sam Richards

Apr 15, 2014, 3:30:43 PM4/15/14
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
I am hearing of quite a few productions using the Filemaker database, and will be putting out a survey soon to get more feedback.

However, that is not the primary goal of the spec, which is really to aid interchange between vendors. To that end, we are working with a number of vendors to get the format supported, but its slow progress, since its not always top of the feature request list (a little like metadata in general).

The EIDR spec looks very interesting, but it looks like its trying to solve a higher level registration issue (registering the metadata for the movie or episode) rather than the camera/take/scene level. I may be missing something, so I would certainly love to learn more about it.

One of the bigger issues I hope we can solve is how to combine different types of media, in particular the raw camera files (and metadata) with other on-set data such as production/reference stills, camera reports, HDRI files, etc. My thought is to start with matching the slate-id and possibly use the date/time as an additional resource, this is harder than you would think since even when the record-time is present in the metadata, its often not the correct time. I am hoping to work with some of the vendors to improve this.

I constantly feel like I'm having a giant present of juicy metadata dangled in front of me that I can never actually get, which is pretty frustrating. So please let us know what we can do to help each other make this better.

Sam.

Sebastian Sylwan

Apr 15, 2014, 3:40:25 PM4/15/14
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sam,

Good response !

I believe you need to explicitly add John's address or he won't get the email.

Google's reply-to strips the sender, but he is not (I think) a member of the ves-tech-camera-reports group. If so, please disregard.

Also, I was thinking reading his email, that maybe a EIDR field is all that's needed and could be mutually beneficial (if EIDR gets traction) beyond the scope they hd envisioned for it. Basically a UUID for all things related to a slate.

Of course it would need discussion but it sounded like an interesting idea.

Cheers,

P.S. I'm writing this from a flying plane, from SF to Montreal, for you guys that routinely fly over a continental landmass it may be already commonplace, but I still find it pretty cool ! (And the death of one of the few disconnection places left)
__
Please excuse typos, fingers too big for BlackBerry keys.

From: Sam Richards <sam.ri...@taurich.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 12:30:43 -0700
Subject: Re: VES Camera Reports Status

john Carney

Apr 15, 2014, 8:19:25 PM4/15/14
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com, Kip Welch
Thank you for the responses.  I did indeed receive both replies through Google.  The Google Group is public so I was able to join without any process.

Happy to have a follow up conversation.    Some of our studio members are asking about EIDR in camera metadata.  EIDR is not meat for providing unique Ids to parts of a production but rather for the whole production.   I think the studios are looking at putting a title level EIDR in to camera metadata such that all sources of metadata, for a given production, can be collected against that title level ID.  Currently your spec has a ‘Job’ which is the name of the production. In order to avoid name/text matching errors across metadata systems  (and across cameras) it would be good to use a title level asset EIDR id instead – or in addition.  Given there are multiple sources of on set metadata it would be good to use an ID that spans those systems for aggregation.

To date EIDR has been used more on the backend where a title level EIDR then maps to edits of that title level (different cuts for different purposes) and manifestations (same cut but say a different language track).  EIDR also address TV works by providing a hierarchy for series, season and episode. There is a public data base where one can look up Ids  https://ui.eidr.org/search and there are APIs for automated lookups and chasing through a hierarchy.

As to the question of traction…

The ID has been around for several years now and has great traction in the industry. Members include all of the major US studios and many archives, reporting and data companies as well as distributors such as cable, satellite and telcos in US and Europe.   EIDR also has many OTT distributors such as Google, Microsoft, and Netflix. EIDR is also the chosen Id for SMPTE’s OpenID bind project, and the ID selected for advanced advertising initiatives out of  CIMM TAXI
project ).

EIDR is a good discussion to have, but I am also more generally interested in the camera metadata itself and how it might fulfill the need from our studios. I liked some of the feedback on another thread about creating an XML version of the data.  Is there a call or F2F meeting in the near future where we can discuss further?

John

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "ves-tech-camera-reports" group.

Sam Richards

Apr 15, 2014, 9:14:36 PM4/15/14
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com, Kip Welch
So far this has mostly been done on-line, with a couple of face2face meetings early on, but I would be happy to setup an online meeting. To the wider group, if there is anybody who would like to be involved, can you let me know, and I'll coordinate.

Sam.