Vert.x 3.0 has been released!

Tim Fox

Jun 24, 2015, 4:32:47 AM6/24/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com
I'm pleased to announce the release of Vert.x 3.0!

This release has been the culmination of over a year's work, joy, pain, dread, elation and brief journeys into the abyss. At times it was touch and go but we returned with a few more wrinkles, a slightly crazier glint in our eyes, but bearing shiny things that we hope you will enjoy.

Vert.x 3 takes the JVM to new levels of reactive awesomeness. There are numerous improvements from Vert.x 2 so we won't list them all here, but the new web-site [1] http://vertx.io has plenty of information in an easily digestible form that you can browse through.

We really think the future is reactive and Vert.x 3 is a better and more relevant fit for writing *scalable* 21st century applications and microservices on the JVM than other "traditional" application platforms and frameworks. Modern apps often have to support very high levels of concurrency and that's hard to do in a scalable way using legacy blocking APIs and thread pools.

Here are some of the highlights of Vert.x 3:

* A new and improved core API providing HTTP, SSL, TCP, UDP, DNS, WebSockets, File System, Event Bus, distributed maps, clustered locks, clustered counters and many more features
* Introducing Vert.x-Web http://vertx.io/docs/#web - a new toolkit for creating any type of web application from traditional server rendered apps, to modern client rendered apps, real-time apps, REST apps and HTTP micro services.
* Pluggable authentication/authorisation with out of the box implementations using JDBC, MongoDB, JWT and Shiro
* Pluggable metrics with an out of the box implementation using DropWizard metrics
* Database connectivity for MongoDB, Redis and JDBC
* Integration with SMTP mail and a JCA adaptor for interop with JavaEE app servers (e.g. WildFly)
* RxJava style APIs if you don't like callbacks
* Reactive Streams implementation http://www.reactive-streams.org/ for interop with other reactive systems (e.g. Akka)
* Introducing Vertx-Unit - a test toolkit for writing async tests
* Codegen of Java APIs into idiomatic APIs in other languages - including JavaScript, Ruby and Groovy
* Completely embeddable
* Simpler classloading model
* Docker images and support for Red Hat OpenShift
* Faster than ever

Please explore the documentation http://vertx.io/docs for more information on all the bits and pieces

We really think Vert.x 3 is a compelling solution for your next generation of applications, and we hope you do too!

As is customary on this occasions I would like to say thank you to a few people:

Firstly, a special thanks to Julien Viet who has worked tirelessly without complaint and without whom this wouldn't be possible.

Thanks To Paulo Lopes [2] and Clement Escoffier, who haven't been with the core team for very long, but already they have made a great contribution beyond expectations.

Thank you to the companies and organisations who already use Vert.x, a selection of which are already listed on the web site: http://vertx.io/whos_using/ - thank you for trusting in us and we hope that you will find Vert.x 3 to be even better.

Thanks to Eclipse Foundation for putting up with us, and making a genuine effort to adapt process to the new breed of fast moving community projects such as Vert.x

Thanks to Red Hat - who pay some of our salaries - in particular Dave Ingham and Mark Little for understanding the value of Vert.x and allowing us to work on such a cool project.

And of course, most importantly of all, thanks to the Vert.x community, which is what it's all about, and without which we would be nothing.

The contributors to Vert.x are too numerous to mention, but you can see the full list here: http://vertx.io/community/

I'm tempted to call out a few names of you who made really great contributions to this release, but I'd be scared I'd omit someone and upset you, so I won't. Thank you - you know who you are :)

If you want to get an overview of Vert.x and understand some of the motivations behind it, here's a recent interview about it from InfoQ: http://www.infoq.com/articles/vertx-3-tim-fox

Please visit the web-site at http://vertx.io

Many thanks to you all, and I hope you enjoy Vert.x 3!

[1] A special thanks to Michel Kraemer who came out of nowhere and created this amazing new web-site for us.
[2] Of course Paulo has been contributing to the Vert.x community for quite some time before this, being the author of Yoke.

Arnaud Estève

Jun 24, 2015, 5:00:14 AM6/24/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations to all of you, including the community.

Such a pleasure to remove this ugly :

line :)

I've been using snapshots from several months now, at work and from home, and I'm really amazed by the amount of things I've learned, from dealing gracefully with Java 8 lambdas to understanding concurrency issues, what the actor model is, what the reactor pattern is, and all of this stuff. So thank you all for that, it's really important.

I started with Vert.x 2 then switched to Vert.x 3 on the road, and really, all the things you mentionned are fantastic additions to the Vert.x stack. Especially Vert.x Web (for me, at least) and the "there's no longer modules" stuff which is such a relief for building multi-services applications in the way WE want (Gradle multi-module project, ...), and Vert.x Unit which is sooo cool to write integration tests.

I really can't wait for the benchmarks to see how v3 pushes performance even further.

And there's more to come, it's now time for us : the community, to create fantastic tools for Vert.x : from opinionated configurations to "clients-for-everything".

Congrats, really. You've built a great tool.

jordan.h...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2015, 5:06:33 AM6/24/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com
/cheer

Michel Krämer

Jun 24, 2015, 5:17:56 AM6/24/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com

> I'm pleased to announce the release of Vert.x 3.0

w00t!!!!!11 ;)

> [1] A special thanks to Michel Kraemer who came out of nowhere and created this amazing new web-site for us.

The pleasure was all mine! :) I'm really glad you like it.

I'll try to assist you in any future tasks related to the website.

Cheers,
Michel

> [2] Of course Paulo has been contributing to the Vert.x community for quite some time before this, being the author of Yoke.

Pid

Jun 24, 2015, 5:39:05 AM6/24/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com
On 24/06/2015 09:32, Tim Fox wrote:
> I'm pleased to announce the release of Vert.x 3.0!
>
> http://vertx.io
>
> This release has been the culmination of over a year's work, joy, pain,
> dread, elation and brief journeys into the abyss. At times it was touch
> and go but we returned with a few more wrinkles, a slightly crazier
> glint in our eyes, but bearing shiny things that we hope you will enjoy.

Congrats Tim & all of the team!

> --

[key:62590808]

Tim Yates

Jun 24, 2015, 5:48:38 AM6/24/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations to all :-D

Julien Viet

Jun 24, 2015, 5:54:37 AM6/24/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com, Tim Fox
congrats to everyone involved and to the community for the important feedback!

--
Julien Viet
www.julienviet.com

Gerry Weirich

Jun 24, 2015, 7:34:34 AM6/24/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com
Seems to be a big step, congrats.

Sorry for asking here, probably I just didn't find the right page in the docs: Is there a guide how and where to start migrating a vert.x 2.1 application? Or would it be a complete rewrite? Do you plan to support 2.1.5 for some time?

regards, Gerry

Mario Giurlanda

Jun 24, 2015, 7:36:19 AM6/24/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com
Congrats to you all,

I am a newbie in Vertx and I find it a great tool! I am looking forward to exploring all the amazing possibilities Vertx offers you.

Thanks!

Mario

Sascha Möllering

Jun 24, 2015, 8:05:45 AM6/24/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com
w000t! Congrats!

Tyr Chen

Jun 24, 2015, 10:18:25 AM6/24/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations to Tim and all! When will 3.1 be released (clojure support)?

Lin Gao

Jun 24, 2015, 10:22:50 AM6/24/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations !~

Amit Kumar

Jun 24, 2015, 12:11:00 PM6/24/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com
WoW WoW WoW.... Great work and Congratulations to you all. Coincidently I talked about 3.0 to a bunch of people today. They sounded all happy to hear what 3.0 and vert.x in general has to offer. Kudos to the team...

Asher Tarnopolski

Jun 24, 2015, 1:18:58 PM6/24/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com
congrats!

Oren Shvalb

Jun 24, 2015, 1:23:00 PM6/24/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations to everyone!!

Oren Shvalb

Jun 24, 2015, 1:30:37 PM6/24/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com
Can't wait for the maven repository release....

Julien Viet

Jun 24, 2015, 1:46:25 PM6/24/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com, Oren Shvalb
it’s available in Maven Central, if that’s what you mean.

--
Julien Viet
www.julienviet.com

Jez P

Jun 24, 2015, 2:27:34 PM6/24/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com, oren....@gmail.com
Awesome, fantastic

Oren Shvalb

Jun 24, 2015, 2:35:02 PM6/24/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com, oren....@gmail.com

Julien Viet

Jun 24, 2015, 2:57:58 PM6/24/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com, Oren Shvalb, oren....@gmail.com
Message has been deleted

Alexander Lehmann

Jun 24, 2015, 7:11:34 PM6/24/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com
mvnrepository.com is pretty great but I assume it is syncing the data from maven central, which takes some time

Tim Yates

Jun 24, 2015, 7:15:11 PM6/24/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com

Tim Yates

Jun 24, 2015, 7:15:54 PM6/24/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com

search.maven.org

Not com

Sigh...

Bedtime...

Julien Viet

Jun 25, 2015, 12:33:39 AM6/25/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com, Nat, oren....@gmail.com

Julien Viet
www.julienviet.com

On 25 Jun 2015 at 00:19:53, Nat (nat....@gmail.com) wrote:

Awesome. One thing I notice is that RouteMatcher seems disappear after the preview. Where is it moved to now?

Amit Kumar

Jun 25, 2015, 4:45:57 AM6/25/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com, nat....@gmail.com, oren....@gmail.com
I recall from few discussions in the past that Apex (now part of vert.x web) allowed adding/removing routes from a running application. Looks like that was a future looking thing and not present yet ? I see enable/disable routes, but being able to add/remove routes on the fly will be great. I can guess how it can be done using sub-routes and more coding on top, but does the core of vertx-web plan to allow for this ?

Mik Quinlan

Jun 25, 2015, 4:58:32 AM6/25/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com
Congrats to you all, the core team and the community.

What a fantastic technology Vertx 2 is and version 3 has so many incredible new, improved features.

Can't wait to migrate to it!

Tim Fox

Jun 25, 2015, 5:01:31 AM6/25/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com
On 25/06/15 09:45, Amit Kumar wrote:
I recall from few discussions in the past that Apex (now part of vert.x web) allowed adding/removing routes from a running application. Looks like that was a future looking thing and not present yet ?

It's already present :)

Amit Kumar

Jun 25, 2015, 5:14:22 AM6/25/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com
WoW... Many thanks Tim... I missed that description in the docs... may have overlooked.

Jan De Cooman

Jun 25, 2015, 10:53:54 AM6/25/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com
Great work! We are already moving the "official" libs to production. Thanks!

Jan

Michael Remme

Jun 25, 2015, 11:15:00 AM6/25/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com
congratulations to all and many, many thanks

- Mike -

Kristoffer Sjögren

Jun 25, 2015, 11:18:22 AM6/25/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com
Great work! Vertx rocks!

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 5:15 PM, Michael Remme <mre...@braintags.de> wrote:
> congratulations to all and many, many thanks
>
> - Mike -

Ashish Patel

Jun 26, 2015, 2:48:30 AM6/26/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com
 Bravo... congrats to Tim and whole community team.

looking forward to work in reactive and microservices awesomeness.

- Ashish
[2] Of course Paulo has been contributing to the Vert.x community for quite some time before this, being the author of Yoke.

Gerry Weirich

Jun 26, 2015, 5:23:29 AM6/26/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com
answering to self, probably someone has use for this:

Yes, it's rather a complete rewrite. If you didn't follow the change process, you'll be as surprised as I was.  :)

- Minor concern: Package names and method names changed quite a lot, but it's easy to convert this automatically.
But, more difficult:
- Modules are gone
- API changed substantially
- Database Access (Mongo, Mysql) changed substantially

So unfortunately, for any non-trivial or not very small project, it won't be just an update.

Am Mittwoch, 24. Juni 2015 13:34:34 UTC+2 schrieb Gerry Weirich:
Seems to be a big step, congrats.

Sorry for asking here, probably I just didn't find the right page in the docs: Is there a guide how and where to start migrating a vert.x 2.1 application? Or would it be a complete rewrite? Do you plan to support 2.1.5 for some time?

regards, Gerry

Trevor S

Jun 29, 2015, 11:57:56 PM6/29/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com
awesome!

qsys

Jun 30, 2015, 4:09:53 AM6/30/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com
wicked-awesome!

migration from 2.x can start :-)

Francesco Cina

Jul 1, 2015, 7:57:42 AM7/1/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com
Awesome!!! Congrats to you all!!

Dario Licci

Jul 11, 2015, 5:54:21 PM7/11/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com
How can I use the module?
In vert.x 2 I can use container.deployModule, for example I used module for Neo4j connector, how can I use it?

Tanks
Dario