Sending Push-Notifications with Vertx

jklingsporn

Jan 11, 2017, 5:19:51 AM1/11/17
to vert.x
Hey there,
for a game I'm currently developing in my company, we had the requirement to send push notifications through the backend (which is developed with vertx). When dealing with push notifications one has either to store device data and do the delivery with the different push providers (Apple, Android, Web, etc) on its own or take one of the push notification platforms that takes care of all this. One of them is OneSignal* which we used in an other project and has a good REST API to send and schedule push notifications. However, writing the HTTP calls on your own can be clumsy, so I decided to write a PushClient using vertx to take care of this. It is free and sources can be found on github.

Best,
Jens

* I'm not connected to that company in any way.

Sebastien Blanc

Jan 11, 2017, 5:29:42 AM1/11/17
to ve...@googlegroups.com
Really nice !

Would be awesome to have the same for the UnifiedPush server , a Open Source Push Server (  https://www.aerogear.org/push/ ) , we have already libs for Java ( https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-unifiedpush-java-client ) and NodeJS, should be pretty easy to make the same for vert.x

Sebi

jklingsporn

Jan 11, 2017, 5:57:06 AM1/11/17
to vert.x
Not sure if the API can be translated 1-to-1. E.g. filters, segments and all this are OneSignal specific.
But yes, taking your existing client and 'just' use the vertx httpclient for the send-part should be easy.

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 11:19 AM, jklingsporn <jens.kl...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey there,
for a game I'm currently developing in my company, we had the requirement to send push notifications through the backend (which is developed with vertx). When dealing with push notifications one has either to store device data and do the delivery with the different push providers (Apple, Android, Web, etc) on its own or take one of the push notification platforms that takes care of all this. One of them is OneSignal* which we used in an other project and has a good REST API to send and schedule push notifications. However, writing the HTTP calls on your own can be clumsy, so I decided to write a PushClient using vertx to take care of this. It is free and sources can be found on github.

Best,
Jens

* I'm not connected to that company in any way.

Thomas SEGISMONT

Jan 11, 2017, 11:00:36 AM1/11/17
to ve...@googlegroups.com
This looks great. Could you add this to https://github.com/vert-x3/vertx-awesome ?

Thomas SEGISMONT

Jan 11, 2017, 11:00:47 AM1/11/17
to ve...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like your next pet project :P

jklingsporn

Jan 11, 2017, 11:45:40 AM1/11/17
to vert.x
Once it is uploaded to maven central I'm happy to do this.
And regarding the pet-thing: I think that vertx is great and my pet projects are a way to give the community something back. Once you've started one project, you can't stop D:

Am Mittwoch, 11. Januar 2017 17:00:36 UTC+1 schrieb Thomas Segismont:
[...]

Thomas SEGISMONT

Jan 11, 2017, 12:08:23 PM1/11/17
to ve...@googlegroups.com
Oh, maybe we misunderstood each other, I was suggesting Sebi to start an Aerogear Vert.x client as a pet project :)